• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

OMG! ...help... Imagining is hard! (1 Viewer)

pratikvc

HSC
Can anyone please help me ? Im doing The Island (2005) movie as a chosen text for an Oral. I dont understand entirely understand how the concept of Imaginative Journey is evident in it....
Its Sci-fi and wateva....I just dont see any imaginative journey.
im blank

please help

6inches

HSC
If you are having troublewith ur admat, then you are obviously choosing the wrong text. my suggestion in choosing additional material is that you must enjoy it, but you must also be able to understand it - that is the text that you are studying must have some depth to it.

Now i havent seen the film, but judging from critics, and my peers, The Island is definitely not a good choice for analysis. because it is so shallow, you will have much trouble trying to write quality stuff on it (which is your situation right now!)

my suggestion: do something else. See the stickied post for a HUGE range of texts.

Cheers

T

Testpilot

The Island was a good film until it broke down into a series of chase scenes. Which is i'm guessing what 6inches is criticising. The film is more one of ideas and should be viewed as that, instead of a film to entertain. Its aim is to question the morals of society.

It is an imaginative journey because:
-The story never happened, it is a dystopic future which requires imagination to create.
-The characters go on an imaginative journey at the start of the film when the "Island" is their heaven but it doesn't exist and they come to reality when Lincon realises what they really are (spare parts).
-Audience goes on a journey in their imagination as they are forced to think about the possibilities in their own world (e.g. the implications of cloning).
-The film is told in an imaginative way (e.g. special effects).

Our teacher drilled into us that an imaginative journey was one that took place within the imagination or was told in an imaginative way. This definition is simply and easy to apply.

I hope i have helped you.

EDIT: I swore I'd never use the word 'journey' again. I guess i failed. Oh and 6inches: maybe 8inches would have been a more impressive username.

Last edited by a moderator:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Personally, I wouldn't use The Island for imaginative journeys. If you have time I would consider doing something like Ron Howard's 'A Beautiful Mind'. Imagination and its contrast to reality is omnipresent and the film techniques representing such are abundant.

I used The Island as a parallel related text to Orwell's 1984 as representing Powerplay (Module C: Representation and Text). I think it worked well for that...a lot better than it would for imaginative journeys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)