• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

open day (2 Viewers)

g_dob

HSC
does anyone know what dates been set for une open day this year?

lawgrad1

HSC
I think it's on 8 September this year. The uni will release more details closer to the actual date. That being said, you should be able to get info from the Student Centre if you have any particular questions.

Hope this helps.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Argonaut said:
I'm trying to work out who LeftRightOut is.

Because I hope he never finds out who I am ...
I left UNE just as you entered High School :eek:

I just like reading the new generation experiences and giving tips where possible cos I just love the place so much haha.

machine169

Anchorman
HSC
open day coming soon

The open day is the 8th of September. This informaiton is from http://www.une.edu.au/news/openday.htm

UNE Open Day - 8 September 2006
Armidale, NSW

The UNE experience stays with you for life

breakfast at the colleges
academic advising
campus tours
information sessions
free lunch
live entertainment
great prizes
Don't forget to bookmark us!
A full Open Day Program will be here soon.

For further information contact

email: events@une.edu.au
Freecall: 1800 818 865
Interested in studying at UNE? Visit

study.une.edu.au
Armidale and the New England Region

g_dob

HSC
can any1 plz tell me how they get to UNE from Sydney city, gotta make plans to get to the open day.....
thanks.

BlackDragon

HSC
well if you're bound to get lost, plane would be easiest, or train. train is actually a good idea, with country link. take you right here. but if you want to drive, you need to get on the sydney newcastle expressway, turn off the expressway north of the hexham bridge to stroud then to gloucester, nowedoc, walcha, uralla and armidale. then follow the signs. or ask for directions. getting into armidale its not hard to find UNE. to save all that, take the train. probably much cheaper too. with cost of fuel. so yeah, SYDNEY NEWCASTLE EXPRESSWAY! Turn off towards stroud. seriously though, cheaper and no worries, take a countrylink train from central or even a plane. unless your in a big group.

Last edited:

machine169

Anchorman
HSC
Armidale is halfway between Sydney and Brisbane and just a couple of hours from the NSW North Coast. There are lots of ways to get here, including:

DRIVE

Armidale is on the New England Highway, which is the excellent inland route between Sydney and Brisbane. Driving time from Sydney or Brisbane is around 5.5 hours and less than 3 hours from the coast. If you're coming from the coast, enjoy one of Australia's best drives across the Waterfall Way

FLY
QANTAS have several flights to and from Armidale each day. Budget for around $300 return from Sydney and $450 return from Brisbane, depending on availability and how early you book.

TRAIN
Countrylink provides 40% discounts on rail travel to Armidale if you can show an International Student Card. You can arrange one through Services UNE. With a discount, expect to pay around $90 return from Sydney.

BUS
Coach fares are available on most of the bus companies who travel between Sydney and Brisbane. For starters, try Greyhound Pioneer, or Edwards Coaches in Armidale (02 6772 3116). Return fares are around $180, but ask about student discounts when you book and buy the tickets.

Every second day, there are bus links to Armidale from Scone, Coffs Harbour and Port Macquarie. Call Keans Travel Express on 1800 043 339.

You can also hire a car once you're in Armidale:

Hertz C/- the Airport 02 6772 0620
Avis C/- the Airport 02 6772 6216
Budget C/- Precision Motors 101-107 Barney St 02 6772 5866
Thrifty 149 Miller St, Armidale 02 6772 4551
Realistic 147 Rusden St, Armidale 02 6772 8078

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
machine169 said:
Armidale is halfway between Sydney and Brisbane and just a couple of hours from the NSW North Coast. There are lots of ways to get here, including:

DRIVE

Armidale is on the New England Highway, which is the excellent inland route between Sydney and Brisbane. Driving time from Sydney or Brisbane is around 5.5 hours and less than 3 hours from the coast. If you're coming from the coast, enjoy one of Australia's best drives across the Waterfall Way

FLY
QANTAS have several flights to and from Armidale each day. Budget for around $300 return from Sydney and $450 return from Brisbane, depending on availability and how early you book.

TRAIN
Countrylink provides 40% discounts on rail travel to Armidale if you can show an International Student Card. You can arrange one through Services UNE. With a discount, expect to pay around $90 return from Sydney.

BUS
Coach fares are available on most of the bus companies who travel between Sydney and Brisbane. For starters, try Greyhound Pioneer, or Edwards Coaches in Armidale (02 6772 3116). Return fares are around $180, but ask about student discounts when you book and buy the tickets.

Every second day, there are bus links to Armidale from Scone, Coffs Harbour and Port Macquarie. Call Keans Travel Express on 1800 043 339.

You can also hire a car once you're in Armidale:

Hertz C/- the Airport 02 6772 0620
Avis C/- the Airport 02 6772 6216
Budget C/- Precision Motors 101-107 Barney St 02 6772 5866
Thrifty 149 Miller St, Armidale 02 6772 4551
Realistic 147 Rusden St, Armidale 02 6772 8078
Anybody ever told you you have too much time on your hands? While you were busy writing that, I was Up Top doing eight straight hours of work ... mind you, I only get 2 hours every other day ...

machine169

Anchorman
HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
Anybody ever told you you have too much time on your hands? While you were busy writing that, I was Up Top doing eight straight hours of work ... mind you, I only get 2 hours every other day ...
Some of us try and help prospective students. If i remember rightly between the trials and HSC the last thing you want as a yr 12 student is trying to find information. I don't see any complaints from them. Much to your displeasure i did not write that, just found it on the UNE web site so maybe took me 2 minutes max and don't worry i know about (c). I guess i do well enough in my studies to work for a law firm in the holiday periods even though i only go out on the town twice a week and play indoor and outdoor soccer i was sorry to hear you were a single at your Ball table.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
machine169 said:
Some of us try and help prospective students. If i remember rightly between the trials and HSC the last thing you want as a yr 12 student is trying to find information. I don't see any complaints from them. Much to your displeasure i did not write that, just found it on the UNE web site so maybe took me 2 minutes max and don't worry i know about (c). I guess i do well enough in my studies to work for a law firm in the holiday periods even though i only go out on the town twice a week and play indoor and outdoor soccer i was sorry to hear you were a single at your Ball table.
You missed the bit about saying you have too much time on your hands as being a roundabout compliment - not obvious and direct, but if it wasn't obvious, I'm impressed that you could find the time to help prospective students out.

And I don't remember anything of Year 12; it was two years ago, so a lot has happened ...

machine169

Anchorman
HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
You missed the bit about saying you have too much time on your hands as being a roundabout compliment - not obvious and direct, but if it wasn't obvious, I'm impressed that you could find the time to help prospective students out.

And I don't remember anything of Year 12; it was two years ago, so a lot has happened ...
Thats cool, I just misinterpreted. I am trying to get some lecturers etc to see the advantages of bored of studies and put inofrmation on here. I recently got the bored of studies administrators to help contruct the UNE part of bored of studies into the different faculties in line with some of the different metro uni pages. I also made up the UNE biki part but i am restricted as to what i can put on there. So if you're a prospective UNE student check out the biki section of bored of studies and under tertiary, nsw, une you will see some pics of UNE.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
If that was directed at me specifically, then I have ti say thanks, but no thanks - I'm already at UNE.

If it was directed at everyone in general, then I'll take a look and see what I can't do.

k8ie

HSC
would any1 happen to know how much it would cost to go from Newcastle to Armidale on the country link train??

machine169

Anchorman
HSC
'Get turned on' at a top-ranking university

September 01, 2006

Visitors to The University of New England on Open Day – Friday 8 September – will gain an insight into why UNE has been ranked among “the top 100 Asia Pacific universities”.
At a series of short lectures titled “Turn Up to Get Turned On”, they will experience something of the spirit of intellectual adventure at UNE that led to this recent accolade. The lectures, between 10 am and 2 pm in UNE’s Education Building, will include introductions to sociology, philosophy, physiology, languages and linguistics, and political and international studies. They will also include demonstrations of the use of fluorescence in biophysics, and the art of Chinese calligraphy.
The 2006 SJTU Academic Ranking of World Universities (“Shanghai Ranking”), which also places UNE among “the world’s top 500 universities”, was published at about the same time as The Good Universities Guide for 2007. Open Day will give visitors plenty of opportunity, too, to get a feeling for why UNE has once again achieved top rating for “educational experience” (which includes “teaching quality”) in the Guide.
UNE’s unique residential system is an important ingredient in the “UNE experience”, and Open Day will begin at 7.30 am with breakfast in the residential colleges (for those who book ahead by phoning the UNE Conference Company on 6773 3370) followed by tours of the residences. Between 9.30 am and 2.30 pm visitors can talk to staff members in UNE’s Lazenby Hall about everything from course and study-mode options to scholarships, residential options, and student support services. There will be an information session for parents at 10.30 am in the Bistro. Free shuttle buses will run throughout the day, and campus tours from 10.30 am till 2 pm.
The Open Day program includes presentations on particular areas of study – including business studies, nursing, economics, law, and psychology. Tony Windsor, the Federal Member for New England and a UNE graduate, will speak during the economics presentation at 11 am in the Dillon Lecture Theatre. At 2.30 pm Mr Windsor will launch the newly-formed UNE Economics Society in Booloominbah. (For more information on the Economics Society contact Giles Dickenson-Jones on 6773 1002 or 0439 472 603.)
Theatre students will present performances in the Drama Studio at about 11.15 and 11.45 am, the Moot Court in the School of Law will be alive with “legal proceedings” between 12 noon and 1 pm, and entertaining outdoor activities will include rides on a mechanical bull, fun with “sumo suits” and “gladiator jousts”, and a free barbecue lunch.
Everyone with an interest in the University – including, of course, prospective students – is invited to Open Day. For more information, and program details, go to:
http://www.une.edu.au/news/openday.htm, or ring 1800 818 865.
Posted by Jim Scanlan at September 1, 2006 03:22 PM from www.une.edu.au

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)