• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Othello ---> Jealousy? (1 Viewer)

himynameisho

HSC
Hi, I'm newish to this site and i've find it very worthwhile. However, as i prepare for my yearlies for yr 11, i'm really struggling to plan a practice essay i'm doing in othello for adv english.

The question is:

Othello forces an audiece to consider the dangers of jealousy

Write an essay which reflects your understanding of the play

In your essay, cit eevidence drawn from characterisation, key points in the plot, dialogue, and/or the conventions of tragedy.

All comments are welcome and thx in advance.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Well he kills someone he loves out of jealousy and this ultimately kills him...

himynameisho

HSC
Enteebee said:
Well he kills someone he loves out of jealousy and this ultimately kills him...
Yeah, I get that bit, lol. But like I don't really know how to expand on it. the only main argument I can think of is that it is Othello's weak point which Iago targets.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Is the question referring to Othello the character specifically, or the play in general?

DJel

HSC
If you mean the character Othello;

From a small Othello text book I have it says that to just put the fact that he kills Desdemona because of jealously is "to gloss over the psychological depth that gives him life in the play. He objectifys Desdemona by refering to her as a 'thing' or at best 'she'. This is a common psychological mechanism employed by many murders." I think thats an important point as at the time they were facinated in psychology, etc.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
DJel said:
If you mean the character Othello;

From a small Othello text book I have it says that to just put the fact that he kills Desdemona because of jealously is "to gloss over the psychological depth that gives him life in the play. He objectifys Desdemona by refering to her as a 'thing' or at best 'she'. This is a common psychological mechanism employed by many murders." I think thats an important point as at the time they were facinated in psychology, etc.
... actually, I kind of disagree with that. Not saying it's incorrect or not useful or whatever, I just PERSONALLY think it's reading too much into something that can be plausibly explained in other ways. Othello referring to Desdemona in such impersonalized ways IMO reinforces the perception held by men in general, specifically in a patriarchal Elizabethan society. Women were the possessions or prizes of men, to be dealt with as he saw fit. Look at how Iago cries "look up your house, your daughter, your bags!" Placing the man's daughter in-between those material objects illustrates this perception of women being objects and prizes, rather than equals. Desdemona went from being her father's possession to her husband's; she is still an object, just with a different owner. Take this and add the element of betrayal and disloyalty that Othello is by now so convinced exists, and his derogatory and disrespectful manner towards Desdemona would have been of no great shock or surprise to Shakespeare's Elizabethan audience, nor the characters in the play. Just look at the way Iago refers to Emilia, even when she’s in his presence. A man referring to his wife as a "thing" etc doesn't necessarly equate to a murderer justifying his thoughts and/or actions. It's simply the way men perceived women in general at the time, no less when they are considered to have betrayed 'their lord'.

of course, this has nothing to do with jealousy, but tbh neither did your point, so I'm just referring to what you brought up.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
himynameisho said:
Hi, I'm newish to this site and i've find it very worthwhile. However, as i prepare for my yearlies for yr 11, i'm really struggling to plan a practice essay i'm doing in othello for adv english.

The question is:

Othello forces an audiece to consider the dangers of jealousy

Write an essay which reflects your understanding of the play

In your essay, cit eevidence drawn from characterisation, key points in the plot, dialogue, and/or the conventions of tragedy.

All comments are welcome and thx in advance.
Ho, i think you can be basic and divide jealousy within some areas.
1) Othello's jealousy and insecurities of Desdemona and Cassio
2) Iago's sexual jealousy of Othello supposedly having an affair with Emilia
3) Iago's jealousy over Cassio as being his Lieutenant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)