• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Othello question ! (1 Viewer)

gc653

HSC
How does the issue of Othello's 'otherness' provide an integral understanding of the tragedy?????

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
How does the issue of Othello's 'otherness' provide an integral understanding of the tragedy?????
Well I believe Othello as a 'black man' really helped accentuate the sense of otherness within the whole play, emphasising the tragedy the resulted thereafter. For example, Othello is only referred to as 'The Moor' in the initial Act of the play. Even though Othello is a respected member of the community, he was the general of Venice, he was inextricably insecure about the colour of his skin and this makes him wary of other people, to the point of delusion. This underlying insecurity becomes the source of his downfall- with his murder of Desdemona and the loss of his integrity. Although Iago's manipulation does play a part in his downfall, ultimately the 'tragedy' aspect of Othello stems from his pure intentions being misled. :)

Hope that helps. I know I don't have much quotes, but if you consider it carefully, racism wasn't really an issue back in Shakespeare's time. This is what makes the play even more relevant in today's society :) (Not answering question, but good to know.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)