• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Parametrics help asapp! (1 Viewer)

aanthnnyyy

HSC
Hey guys I can't find a way to solve this difficult 3u parametric question from the test yourself section. I know the theorems and all but I can't seem to find the answer. :(

Chord PQ is a focal chord of x^2=4ay where P(2ap,ap^2) and Q(2aq,aq^2). Find the equation of the locus of the points of intersection of the tangents at P and Q

(The solution is y=-a)

photastic

HSC
1. Find the equations for the tangents for p and q.
2. Find the point of intersection.
3. Use the coordinates of the point of intersection to find the equation.
4. Use the first chord's property of passing the focus to find the conditions that would help finalise step 3.

Switch steps 3 and 4 around whoops.

aanthnnyyy

HSC
1. Find the equations for the tangents for p and q.
2. Find the point of intersection.
3. Use the coordinates of the point of intersection to find the equation.
4. Use the first chord's property of passing the focus to find the conditions that would help finalise step 3.

Switch steps 3 and 4 around whoops.
Much appreciated, parametric is a pain in the behind

aanthnnyyy

HSC
Thanks a lot, helped me get over the confusing repetition of which p is which and q is which etc. :) good luck on ur next couple of hsc exams, I will be sitting there in a year !

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
This kid is using Maths in focus :evilfire: You must stop immediately before I begin my rants.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
I bet you 100% that that 11 year old kid is not using maths in focus.

photastic

HSC
Something interesting about the book and the author:

"The bestselling Maths in Focus series has been extensively revised and features a refreshed design that aims to promote visual and textual clarity and accessibility. All chapters contain comprehensive fully-worked examples and explanations, as well as ample sets of graded exercises for continual revision."

"Margaret Grove has spent more than 30 years teaching HSC Mathematics, most recently at a TAFE campus in Sydney. An author for over 20 years, Margaret has continually drawn on her extensive experience to create and revise the Maths in Focus series, which has been a bestseller for almost ten years. "

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Something interesting about the book and the author:

"The bestselling Maths in Focus series has been extensively revised and features a refreshed design that aims to promote visual and textual clarity and accessibility. All chapters contain comprehensive fully-worked examples and explanations, as well as ample sets of graded exercises for continual revision."

"Margaret Grove has spent more than 30 years teaching HSC Mathematics, most recently at a TAFE campus in Sydney. An author for over 20 years, Margaret has continually drawn on her extensive experience to create and revise the Maths in Focus series, which has been a bestseller for almost ten years. "
TAFE <-----Confirmation of its inferiority right there

Bestseller in deceiving people I reckon

photastic

HSC
TAFE <-----Confirmation of its inferiority right there

Bestseller in deceiving people I reckon
Book info:
■ Increased emphasis on more challenging problems
■ Greater variety of fully-worked examples and graded exercises
■ Practice Assessment Tasks and Exercise sections updated and extended to include a comprehensive range of
HSC exam-style questions, including short answer, free response, multiple choice and true/false

HAHAHAHA! Save us enigma :p

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Book info:
■ Increased emphasis on more challenging problems
■ Greater variety of fully-worked examples and graded exercises
■ Practice Assessment Tasks and Exercise sections updated and extended to include a comprehensive range of
HSC exam-style questions, including short answer, free response, multiple choice and true/false

HAHAHAHA! Save us enigma :p
rest in peace Margaret grove I am coming to get you... jokes

but wow this chic lies a lot. HSC exam style-questions? You've gotta be kidding me. Margaret grove questions are only as good as the MC and question 11 in HSC papers, the rest of the questions are significantly more difficult that MIF.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)