• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Pasteur and Koch (1 Viewer)

lilsxcwog89

Lazy Ass
HSC
I have an assignment where I have to carry out Pasteurs 'SWAN FLASK' experiment and there are some questions that follow that I have trouble finding information on.

Outline the theories and contributions of Pasteur and Koch

Analyse the way in which their theories on infectious diseases were validated

Evaluate how the contributions of P * K changed the direction or nature of scientific thinking on infectious diseases and impacted on society and health care.

Your help you be of much help thanks in advance.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
It would be easier if you tell us what exactly you want to know instead of outlining your whole assignment for us. We want to know what you understand so far and that you are not completely clueless as to who are Pasteur and Koch.

Begin by looking at Koch and the Koch's postulates and how he connected the role of bacteria as the casative agents to anthrax and cholera. Comment how this has helped our understanding of infectious disease.

Pasteur worked on vaccination and also introduced the process of pastuerisation. He also carried out the Swan flask experiment to show that bacteria have a role in spoiling food. Apparently the experiment is still running, somewhere in Europe where the broth he had sterilised inside the flask is still sterile!

You need to comment on the way vaccination has impacted on human health and the fight against diseases (*hint* talk about immunological memory of T and B cells).

You can then outline how they did their experiments to prove their hypotheses.

lilsxcwog89

Lazy Ass
HSC
A quick question

When researching Pasteur and Koch do we reasearch them independently in regards to their theories and contributions and impacts on medical care.

Also for some parts of Pasteur and Kochs theories and contributions wont the information overlap.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Although both scientists did their research in the mid 1800s to late 1800, to my knowledge, they worked independently of each other, and will, therefore, develped their theories of microbiology.

You should research them separately. But just keep in mind that both of their contributions helped us understand modern medical microbiology and immunology. So apply this when relevant information do overlap.

maiKERU

HSC
N/A
need help with this two people Louis pasteur and robert koch in regards to the cause of infectious diseases

- breifly outline the background to the advance
- discuss the technologies that have deveoped as a result of the advance {including advantages and limitations)

mastersplinter

HSC
hey
I have a couple of questions on Pasteur i need answered to they are:
(a). How does this experiment (flasks) disprove spontaneous generation?
(b). Does this experiment conclusively prove that microbes are responsible for decay?

The first one i think has something to do with the air being what contains the spores/bacteria, but i am really not sure on how to answer the question properly.

PLEASE HELP

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
mastersplinter said:
(a). How does this experiment (flasks) disprove spontaneous generation?
In order to answer this question, you need to know how the experiment actually works. The swan-neck flask containing a broth was boiled to ensure all living matter were destroyed. Then, it was left in room temperature. Due to the structure of flask, it allows air to enter or exit the flask but the S shape traps any microorganisms present in the air. The broth was unspoiled. This suggests that life doesn't just appear out of nowhere (or spotaneously) and spoil the broth.

mastersplinter said:
(b). Does this experiment conclusively prove that microbes are responsible for decay?
What do you think the answer is? I think this question is designed to test your conceptual understanding of this part of the course and see whether you really understanding the experiment and the concept behind the experiment. I don't want to answer this for you. Think about it, and if you still can't answer it, let me know what you think the answer is and I'll help.

mastersplinter

HSC
I guess that since the flask where the microbes were allowed to enter started to ferment and decay that it does show that the microbes are responsible for the decay of the broth. am i on the right track?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yes, the opened flask contained spoiled broth. The point of the experiment was to show that life doesn't appear from no-where and must be reproduced from an exisiting life. In order to show microoriganisms are responsible for the decay, additional experiments would be more appropriate. For example, inoculating one broth with a microorganism and leave another one sterile.

.ben

HSC
Does anyone haveany good diagrams for this prac? i can't seem to find any lol thanks.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
The diagram in the Excel book is pretty good. I also remember there is a diagram in the Heinemann textbook.

.ben

HSC
yeh it's just that i don't have a scanner for non computered images.

Dr_Doom

HSC
Here I found this on google. It's the basic concept.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)