• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Pathways (1 Viewer)

maths94

HSC
I know this may be the wrong section but if your in year 12 l guess you could help me. From what l have heard pathways is where you do the HSC in 2 years, do 6 units one year and 6 units the other year. I was thinking of doing this as one you get alot of spare time to study and the stress will not build on you. Example i would do mx1/2, Physics and english advanced first year then the second year IPT, Engineering Studies and Business Studies. From what l have heard from pathways, l seem to like it. I can do the challenging subjects without stressing or anything and l wouldnt mind doing year 12 in 2 years just aslong as i can get a high ATAR. Yes l know someone could get a high ATAR in one year but i would prefer the one as you got alot of leisure time and other stuff to do. Could someone tell me how this actually works?

shady145

Banned
HSC
I know this may be the wrong section but if your in year 12 l guess you could help me. From what l have heard pathways is where you do the HSC in 2 years, do 6 units one year and 6 units the other year. I was thinking of doing this as one you get alot of spare time to study and the stress will not build on you. Example i would do mx1/2, Physics and english advanced first year then the second year IPT, Engineering Studies and Business Studies. From what l have heard from pathways, l seem to like it. I can do the challenging subjects without stressing or anything and l wouldnt mind doing year 12 in 2 years just aslong as i can get a high ATAR. Yes l know someone could get a high ATAR in one year but i would prefer the one as you got alot of leisure time and other stuff to do. Could someone tell me how this actually works?
prelim and HSC done in 1 year... not less work load, u just get to focus on less subjects...

Finx

HSC
You summed it up yourself. 6 units in the first year of year 12, 6 units in the second year of year 12.

In the first year, you do the six year12 units and six year11 units at the same time. Then in the second year, all you've got left is the year12 units from prelim.

shell.q

HSC
im doing this, i did year 11 in 2008 finished it and began yr12 in 2008/09 didn't drop 2 subjects until start of term 2, and i would recommend it unless u have a very good reason your school may not even allow or bug u not to do it this way if you don't have a valid reason.
i was in hospital and missed out on core topics for maths adv and engineering studies so dropped them and right now it is my biggest regret because there is so much ways around do what you want to do and it destroyed all my gap yr plans, not to say i have to go through the whole hsc process again and it is just to time consuming. U said u can cope with the stress so, u know it is stressful why put yourself through that again if u don't have to.
I wouldn't recommend it, u have to sit down and really look at what you want to do, if u don't know get the hsc over and done with then have gap year and enjoy yourself.
dont put yourself through it is my end conclusion.

sj1990

HSC
I'm doing Pathways this year, except I'm doing all my subjects in my second year (left school last year for health reasons but its still considered pathways). Its incredibly hard to be accepted into a pathways program, or at least, for your school to agree. Ultimately it is your decision, but the principal has the "power of veto" - however you generally have to have a medical condition to support your reasons for spreading it over two years. Also, at my school there are about 3 other students from my year actually doing pathways, they did six units last year and four units this year. They haven't minded it, but all of us pathways kids are really sick of school. You have to think really hard, because everyone said "Oh, I'll be FINE to stay in school another year, I don't mind at all.." but in reality, it feels as though you are being left behind from your own year group...people at uni or overseas with a lot more freedom than you have. It can be very hard to watch your friends explore the world and be left behind, also you cant just go out clubbing on a thursday night because you have school the next day... also, I'm 19, and can I just say...with some of the incredibly young students in my year being 16 turning 17 (how are they in yr 12, I dont know) it can drive you crazy...the age gap really shows.
Ultimately its your decision, but think really carefully before committing.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
but in reality, it feels as though you are being left behind from your own year group...people at uni or overseas with a lot more freedom than you have. It can be very hard to watch your friends explore the world and be left behind, also you cant just go out clubbing on a thursday night because you have school the next day... also, I'm 19, and can I just say...with some of the incredibly young students in my year being 16 turning 17 (how are they in yr 12, I dont know) it can drive you crazy...the age gap really shows.
Ultimately its your decision, but think really carefully before committing.
This is why I've decided against doing pathways, I'd rather do it all in one go and take the chance of having to do a course due to having a low-ish UAI.
But choose what's best for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)