• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Pathways (1 Viewer)

arrested development
HSC
Is anyone here doing pathways, or has anyone done it in previous years?
I am most likely going to do it due to personal reasons and the nature of my subjects, and I was just wondering what those of you who have experienced it think of the idea?

Cab31

HSC
I know a lot of people that have done pathways and there tends to be an equal distribution of people that it 'corrupts' and people that it helps. One friend did pathways and got 99.95, and another did pathways and virtually gave up in the second year and just stopped going to school! Unfortunately, the tendancy to not want to go back to school when all your friends and peers leave can be overwelming. The HSC seems long enough as it is, without adding another year onto it. I think its a great idea for people who genuinely miss alot of school but i wouldnt do it for the 'nature' of the subjects i was doing.

Cab31

HSC
McHectic said:
My teacher wrote Macmillam Pathways Chemistry if thst what your talking about.... :D
huh? what has that got to do with pathways :confused:

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
I did pathways (due to disability) & loved it, although as mentioned in one of the previous posts it is hard when your friends leave and it did take me a term or so to get back into the swing of things.
Having said that in my second year I did make lots of new friends and you do tend to handle the HSC better during the second year, because you more or less know what to expect. It can get somewhat get irritating when people ask continious questions about the HSC and the nature of the exams.
If its really what you think is best for you, then by all means do it; but it is a big decision to make and it took me several months to make the decision. I spend ages consoulting my teachers on what they thought of me doing pathways.
GOOD LUCK!!! :)

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
im not quite sure why you would want to spend another year at school, but meh, whatever floats your boat.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i heard there was some school where like all their students did pathways for some reason. forget what it was called...

there's one guy at our school doing pathways at the moment, i dont really know him but he doesnt seem to be disliking it, from what i heard from ppl who know him he actually enjoys it coz he gets the time he needs for his sporting commitments (reason he did it in the first place). it seems like a big decision though, talk 2 ur teachers and stuff about it first

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
I had a friend who does pathways, it seems cool if you can't cope with doing it all at once. But why do people say it fucks some people up? Personally I couldn't stand being at school any longer than I really have to, but pathways is better than dropping out.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Zoltan said:
I had a friend who does pathways, it seems cool if you can't cope with doing it all at once. But why do people say it fucks some people up? Personally I couldn't stand being at school any longer than I really have to, but pathways is better than dropping out.
I think it's a cop-out unless you have a reasonable reason.

My lamer friend has his dad pay his way through school so he can do shite all at school. He did 5 units last year and does 5 next year, and he expects to get a UAI of 100...how am I supposed to compete when I'm doing the same workload in half the time.

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
Can't you complain? I mean they don't usually give special privileges in the hsc unless you actually need it

arrested development
HSC
My main problem is that I had a large amount of time off school during years 10 and 11 due to illness and hospitalisation. One thing that I think will be good is that I will be doing the 2nd year at a different school, one which I have always thought I might have liked to go to.
Thanks for all your replies, from what you've all said it seems like it is the right thing for me.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Zoltan said:
Can't you complain? I mean they don't usually give special privileges in the hsc unless you actually need it
"Oh, Mr Compaints strikes again. Tell me Rimmer, how badly did you fail this time?"

Red Dwarf, series 1...stuffed for the name of the episode.

^^

1 key reason I can't complain.

Cab31

HSC
Gavrillo said:
"Oh, Mr Compaints strikes again. Tell me Rimmer, how badly did you fail this time?"

Red Dwarf, series 1...stuffed for the name of the episode.

^^

1 key reason I can't complain.
It is true though that there are people who abuse the system (i.e. simply use pathways to get a better UAI). But seriously i mean if the HSC means that much to them then let them do it because quite frankly its sad. They are most likely going to struggle when they get to uni and have a full load of subjects anyway, unless they again choose to postpone their life and do it part time. Pathways was set up for people with disabilities (including things like high representative sport where the student isnt at school often as they are representing their country etc.) The people who choose to abuse this should be penalised. But how are you going to police it? From the people that i know that have done pathways, they seem to accept just about any reason for doing it so until that changes, there are going to be people who do it for the wrong reason.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Red Dwarf. Ah. Awesome stuff. My favourite episode is when Rimmer is dressed in a pink and white checkered skirt/apron wearing a shower cap and pretending his hand puppet controls him.

Regarding pathways: If I was going to be here for another year, I'd just do the HSC once, then repeat again if my marks weren't high enough. It seems to be a far better solution than doing the HSC over 2 years. Well, in my opinion, of course. :)

Cab31

HSC
Slide Rule said:
Red Dwarf. Ah. Awesome stuff. My favourite episode is when Rimmer is dressed in a pink and white checkered skirt/apron wearing a shower cap and pretending his hand puppet controls him.

Regarding pathways: If I was going to be here for another year, I'd just do the HSC once, then repeat again if my marks weren't high enough. It seems to be a far better solution than doing the HSC over 2 years. Well, in my opinion, of course. :)
But think about it...if you had less of a load in both those years, then theoretically you could spend more time on each subject and hence getter a better mark. Of course, then there are people who it corrupts and they end up spending their spare time doing bigger and better things than the HSC.

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
Slide Rule said:

My parents bought us every episode of Red Dwarf on tape... I mean EVERY episode. That one with the gingham dress? It's because Rimmer contracts a holo-virus by speaking to Dr Lanstrome who froze herself in a stasis pod because her life was running out because the holo-virus she had was draining her. She also discovered the Luck Virus and Sexual Magnetism Virus.
Feel free to make fun of me for practically knowing the script to the whole series. :)

kat_mandu

What the?
HSC
i did pathways over 2003-04. I decided really late to do it. in 2003 i did all my subjects for the trial, but personal things happened and my life exploded and i simply wasn't coping, so i only did three subjects in 03 and then did the other two in 04. Ideally it would have been great to get it over and done with in one year, but it wasn't the worst thing doing pathways. i had an advantage in that i already had a stack pf friends on the year below so that wasn't an issue. It was really hard to saty motivated in the last year, and i became really slack at some points.

if you think that it would help defanatly do it. there is no shame doing in it and dont be discouraged by the dickheads that think there is. but yeh, make sure you stay focused cause it can get hard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)