• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

physiological adaptation (1 Viewer)

aivilo

urgent qs. !!!

does anyone know what the word "physiological" actually means in biology, coz i seem to be kinda confused about it

Last edited:

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
physiological adaptation is the way the organism adjusts to ambiant temperature by changes to its internal environment
for example the rock wallaby secretes concentrated urine for water conservation
this is psychological adaptation to combat an increase in ambiant temperature so as to retain moisture
hope that helps

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
Originally posted by = Jennifer =
it sure helped me and i thought i knew about physicological.....is that from csu tele??
thats from my head
its a simple concept to comprehend
essentially 2 different types of adaptations
behavioral and physiological
each in their own way assist the organism in maintaining a stable internal environment

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
isnt there also the physical adaptation as well? like the red kangaroo having lots of blood vessels near the surface of the skin of its paws?

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
Originally posted by frodo
isnt there also the physical adaptation as well? like the red kangaroo having lots of blood vessels near the surface of the skin of its paws?
yes thats right there is also physical adaptations
however the example of using the blood vessels i would say is more physiological (although i'm a bit ambigious bout this)
a physical adaptation would be something like an opposable thumb in higher order primates

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by = Jennifer =
it sure helped me and i thought i knew about physicological.....is that from csu tele??
lolz, tele is becumin soo very good, he's walkin csu now... =p blehz...

physiocological adaptation, isn't it when the way in which organs works help an organism survive its particular environment??

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by xiao1985
pysiocological adaptation, isn't it when the way in which organs works help an organism survive its particular environment??
:uhhuh: i think of it as the "physical" characteristics in which help the organism survive. ie. larger ears.. but after reading tele's post.. hmm..should we trust the bio god? :p

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
Originally posted by kimmeh
:uhhuh: i think of it as the "physical" characteristics in which help the organism survive. ie. larger ears..
well i see it as three....

physical/structural: any skeletal characteristic as in opposable thumb in higher order primates for dexterity for example, or a thicker/waxier epidermis in plants to assist in water retention for example

physiological: as i see it this is any bodily function assiting in the maintenance of internal environment eg. secretion of concentrated urine from the desert hopping mouse or the ability to increase rate of photosynthesis in plants by increasing production of chlorophyll

behavioral: a behavioral response to the ambiant environment in an attempt to maintain a balanced internal environment eg, red kangaroos lie in the shade during the hot summer middays to keep cool and not allow the body's 'balance' to fluctuate higher in response to the ambiant environment, as well as this it would lick its paws to promote evaporation of heat from the body, eucalyptus pauciflora (snow gum) move its leaves to always face the sun to maintain a constant rate of photosynthesis throughout the day and while doing so keeps the back of the leaf from being exposed on which the stomates are located, therefore promoting the least amount of loss as possible as far as water is concerned while maintaining a high level of food production

Originally posted by kimmeh
but after reading tele's post.. hmm..should we trust the bio god? :p
do so at ur own disgression, hey..i aint just a pretty face :)

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ~TeLEpAtHeTiC~
nah... quite the opposite really :)
which means tele ain't as pretty as he is in da photo... ahahaha...

jkin jkin, dun throw stuff at me... ^^

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
i think tele is pretty hot... i mean... omg... someone with brains and good looks
*trails off praising himself
lol
i'm sooo bored... come on ppl post up questions... bio forum has become really dead lately

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)