• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Picking Up Ext. English in Year 12? (1 Viewer)

gsweeper

HSC
Of late I have realised that i am actually pretty good at English. I'm currently doing Advanced and in most of the assessments this year i have come outright first, beating the extension kids also. My question is; Is it common, or am I able to easily pick up extension English going into year 12?

Jeee

Banned
HSC
You'll have to talk to a teacher. As far as I know, one has to have been doing 3U English in year 11 to carry it on in year 12.

However, I think yr 11 3U Eng. is not a continuation of yr 12 3U Eng (I hope it's not at least, because I am not liking yr 11 3U much), so you could be able to pick it up. Have a talk to your teacher. Since you're doing really well, you could be taken into special consideration.

Last edited:

gsweeper

HSC
You'll have to talk to a teacher. As far as I know, one has to have been doing 3U English in year 11 to carry it on in year 12.
If thats the case i am regretting not picking it up last year, but then again my english teacher hated me and suggested standard, every time i get my results back i make sure i let him know :haha:

MissGiggles

HSC
it's not uncommon for advanced students to beat extension students. most schools don't allow moving up in any subject but with scores like that i'd definately try. the worst they can do is say no, right?

Jaylee42003

HSC
Of late I have realised that i am actually pretty good at English. I'm currently doing Advanced and in most of the assessments this year i have come outright first, beating the extension kids also. My question is; Is it common, or am I able to easily pick up extension English going into year 12?
hun, this has been discussed countless times before. Go to the search drop down and type in your thread title's keywords. Generally, you can't pick up Ext. English if you have not completed the Prelim course first. BOS rules.

MissGiggles

HSC
hun, this has been discussed countless times before. Go to the search drop down and type in your thread title's keywords. Generally, you can't pick up Ext. English if you have not completed the Prelim course first. BOS rules.
hmm...it's too late to sit the ext. english exam for you isn't it? i believe doing the yearly exam is enough becuase a lot of extension english and 1u religion students in my class sat the 2u religion test in order to say they met the 2u course requirements

Cowbell

HSC
seriously you could rock up 2 months before the HSC, get your texts and a copy of the syllabus and you'd be able to get a decent mark without even trying too hard.

problem is most 3u english teachers/students have an elitist attutude and think it's actually a hard subject so i doubt you'll be able to do it without the (worthless) prelim.

dont worry though, what you've been told about it scaling well is bullshit. ext 2 english scales (alot) worse than ext 1 maths.

MissGiggles

HSC
dont worry though, what you've been told about it scaling well is bullshit. ext 2 english scales (alot) worse than ext 1 maths.
what!!!! i have been asked to go back to my last high school (our feeder school) to convince year 10s to choose ext. english, and one of the arguments we were given is that it scales really good! aargh, i thought it could get me out of my drama-doesn't-scale-well hole i dug myself into too!

smasherX21

HSC
what!!!! i have been asked to go back to my last high school (our feeder school) to convince year 10s to choose ext. english, and one of the arguments we were given is that it scales really good! aargh, i thought it could get me out of my drama-doesn't-scale-well hole i dug myself into too!
Don't worry, most of the kids here are nerds who do mx2/mx1/chem/phys/adv eng, they see 'scaling well' as being language extensions, distinction courses, or mathematics extensions.

In reality, subjects like english extensions, modern history, economics, chem, history extension and phys are generally good scaling

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
I have a girl at my school in the same situation, and I'm pretty sure she wasnt allowed from BoS because she hadnt completed the prelim course but it wont hurt to ask!

gsweeper

HSC
I have a girl at my school in the same situation, and I'm pretty sure she wasnt allowed from BoS because she hadnt completed the prelim course but it wont hurt to ask!
That really annoys me, especially as I know i can do it and succeed. Just the other day i asked the legal teacher if i could have a past paper to do (I don't do legal) I gave it back a couple of hours later and she replied "even though you passed with flying colours, don't try to pick this up, BOS says you can't......"

MissGiggles

HSC
our school always notices obvious trends such as a large group of students moving up to 2u religion in term 3, a larger group moving down at the start of yr 12, most of the sciences collapse in yr 12, along with ext. classes, so we were warned not to leave changes too close to exams luckily for a friend of mine. she had to self teach the 2u rel course while doing the 1u classes with ext. english just so she could sit all three tests.

i was also told chemistry is the fourth highest scaling subject! argh my teachers drive me insane!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)