• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Picking up French Continuers (1 Viewer)

Captain pi

HSC
Dear all,

I did not choose French Continuers for the Preliminary course and have regetted it ever since. I achieved second place in French in Year 10 in my school. (I'm/was pretty good at it.)

I am currently sitting on ten units (however, I have accelerated in Extension 2 Mathematics) and have been told by the French master that it is possible to begin (as a pseudo-accelerant) the French Continuers course, immediately.

My pattern of study is:

2 English (Advanced)
2 Chemistry
2 Music 2
1 Music Extension
2 Philosophy
1 Studies of Religion I

What, precisely, is involved with the course? How much work is expected? What crucial study have I missed as a result of missing the Preliminary Course?
In effect: Should I pick up French Continuers?

I love French! I am extremely keen. It is the effect on my other subjects which concerns me. Also of concern is that I may, shall we say, have overestimated by ability to effectively 'accelerate' in French Continuers.

Merci beacoup,

Captain pi.

Last edited:

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
Hmmm.

I think if you have the fondness for and desire to study the language you should act upon it. Most people tend to say (and I agree) that if you enjoy the subject you're more likely to do well.

But as you mentioned, you have quite a heavy study load and the fact you have missed the prelim course does work against you. But ya seem pretty intelligent (anyone who puts up with extension 2 maths must be a freaking genius) so the catch-up mightn't bother you.

I'm gonna say yes, do it, because you can try it out- see if it's gonna work for you- if not- go back to your current subejcts. You could even keep it up for recreational purposes, not just study, if you found you had the time. <----- :uhhuh:

Anyway, that's Hippy's view. Other's will probably be more helpful.

malkin86

HSC
I found that I learned a lot of tenses in the Prelim course and not many in the yr 12 course.. That might just have been how my teacher organised things, though - to give maximum practice time.

I would highly reccommend that you take a squiz at the French Continuers Prelim and HSC syllabi , which you can find here: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/syllabus2000_listf.html#frenchc and see how much you need to catch up on. You may find that your philosophy helps you in your French speaking - we're actually allowed our own opinions and beliefs in French, if we can rabbit on about them using proper and advanced French for at least 20 minutes. :eek:

chepas

HSC
I have nothing to add. Except to support what has been said.

Though if you're already accelerating Maths, is that a bit too much to accelerate, should you do French as well?

But, as Hippy has stated, if you love it then you should have no problem with it.

And yes - look over the syllabus and look at what is required in terms of what grammar is covered. If you are the sort of person that learns grammatic rules, verb tables and the like rather quickly then that should be no problem. The trouble then is, using it - that is - formulating responses that the HSC markers want, and of course the speaking. So, immersion in all kinds of Frenchness would be almost a must, just to get used to it/catch up. (Lots of links to the 'surround yourself in French' kind of situation are on in the forum. From music to movies etc...).

As far from missing stuff from the prelim course course is concerned, it's just a matter of the grammar aspect. The course is basically talking all about yourself - the theme being "Young Person's World". In that, you have to be able to talk about yourself: Your aspirations (jobs, careers, school/uni stuff), what you like/hate, all that kind of thing. As malkin said it can also get a bit reflective and 'philosophical'.

The syllabus should give you, naturally, the big run down.

EDIT: But in not doing the prelim course you might not be fulfilling the requirements for X00 hours studied, but that might be able to be negotiated.

And should you have anything grammar/written etc questions, don't hesitate to ask here as well!

Above all, bonne chance!
Chépas :D.

Last edited:

vas y molo

if you're doing the HSC this year, how can you pick it up now??

or is this a really old thread

vas y molo

oh ok, its not :p

uumm personally, i would be screwed if i hadnt done prelim. I think you do need it.

a girl joined my class who hadnt done year 9 + 10 french, and is now topping our continuers class, but she is french, so that might be one explanation!

malkin86

HSC
Hah hah... darned native speakers showing everyone else up... :D mdr...

Bienvenue a la BoS forum francophone, Mario! :)

chepas

HSC
Haha malkin comment peut-t-elle s'appeler mario quand elle est une fille? Vu qu'elle dit qu'elle est du genre féminin dans son profil a` gauche? :p Peut-être elles existent, des Mariettes...

Alors, sois bienvenue ici marlo! Tu verras qu'il y a tant de choses a` lire et a` faire sur le forum franco (donc les gars, c'est un forum!), bien j'espère que tu seras contente ici.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I dont know if u would be allowed to as u havent done the hours but talk to ur teachers...i am living proof that u can pick up french (although i picked it up in yr 9) I had to ctach up a whole year in yr 9 and managed to get 96 and come first i know this is different but my advice is to listen to your teachers...they know what they are talking abt...my point is it is possible...but u will have to work ur arse off...i did

malkin86

HSC
grah. eyes failing.. too much BoSing.. I'll never be able to read subtitles at this rate. I'm sorry, marlo. Forgive me?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)