• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Poland okays forcible castration for pedophiles (1 Viewer)

C

copkiller

"Poland on Friday approved a law making chemical castration mandatory for pedophiles in some cases, sparking criticism from human rights groups."

Poland okays forcible castration for pedophiles | Oddly Enough | Reuters

Imo it would be okay if it was offered as a choice to pedophiles as an alternative to jail time, or in exchange for a lighter sentence.

However, the current proposal is to give them a lengthy sentence, then castrate them once they are released.

Its pretty disturbing that this is happening in a supposedly free, democratic, western country with Christian values. The Polish President even brags; " As far as I know, this makes our law the strictest in Europe on this issue." Clearly this is more politically motivated tough on crime nonsense, and an example of why democracy fails to protect human rights.

Jeee

Banned
HSC
It should deter them then. If they want to keep their balls.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
complete testicular and penal removal, imo.

fuck human rights, these dickheads are pedophiles!

edit: brand them on the forehead too.

anom1ly

HSC
that really is a creative punishment. would it stop them from looking it up on the internet though? like without their genitals, would they even want to look it up?

rokkuguhyo

HSC
Human rights?

What about the right to not be touched sexually by a mentally sick adult?

Why is it always the offender's rights that are protected? These people don't deserve any.

C

copkiller

Human rights?

What about the right to not be touched sexually by a mentally sick adult?

Why is it always the offender's rights that are protected? These people don't deserve any.
Human rights are about a basic minimum standard of dignity afforded to all people.

To protect the "right to not be touched sexually by a mentally sick adult," child abusers may be isolated from children indefinately.

Certain cruel and unusual punishments like mutilating someones body are not necessary to protect the rights of children, they are merely used to appease the public's desire from vengeance and brutality.

rokkuguhyo

HSC
Human rights are about a basic minimum standard of dignity afforded to all people.

To protect the "right to not be touched sexually by a mentally sick adult," child abusers may be isolated from children indefinately.

Certain cruel and unusual punishments like mutilating someones body are not necessary to protect the rights of children, they are merely used to appease the public's desire from vengeance and brutality.
But castration will ensure that they never commit the act again, therefore the rights of children will be further protected.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
This law is illegal. It violates basic human rights laws, AFAIK you cant make genitial mutilation a government sanctioned punishment for crime [no matter how effective it would be at stopping them reoffend]

C

copkiller

Cutting off people's hands would certainly reduce people's ability to shoplift.

Cutting out people's tongues could prevent perjury.

Should we re-instate these sorts of cruel punishments?

Oh I forgot, its only when pedophilia is mentioned that everyone looses their minds and throws all other morality out the window.

rokkuguhyo

HSC
How does it protect children anymore than life imprisonment?
Some don't get life imprisonment. Look at Dennis Ferguson- sure HE may be old and frail and possibly incapable of recommitting the crime, but others who've also been released early may not be.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Does "chemical castration" (i.e. giving female hormones/stopping testosterone production) count as genital mutilation?

Just wondering.

C

copkiller

Some don't get life imprisonment. Look at Dennis Ferguson- sure HE may be old and frail and possibly incapable of recommitting the crime, but others who've also been released early may not be.
But if Poland is serious about protecting children, they could just as easily have passed a law requiring life imprisonment rather than genital mutilation.

C

copkiller

Does "chemical castration" (i.e. giving female hormones/stopping testosterone production) count as genital mutilation?

Just wondering.
Hmmm I wonder, if I gave you drugs to cause you to become retarded, would that count as mutilation of your brain?

It a pretty narrow view to say that only physically cutting something up counts when a part of someone's body has been rendered functionally useless.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
The 'castration' is chemically, let's just make that clear - they're not cutting these guys balls off. Nevertheless...

I want them to be punished as much as anyone else, but you simply cannot make any submissions when it comes to human rights. You give a finger - or a testicle - and soon they'll want the whole hand - or ... ;)

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I don't like the use of the word pedophile, because that's simply someone with an attraction to children.

I'm against this, but if you were going to have something like this the individual should at least have to be convicted of rape, and not statutory.

Sprangler

HSC
Under the law, sponsored by Poland's center-right government, pedophiles convicted of raping children under the age of 15 years or a close relative would have to undergo chemical therapy on their release from prison.
x

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
The 'castration' is chemically, let's just make that clear - they're not cutting these guys balls off. Nevertheless...

I want them to be punished as much as anyone else, but you simply cannot make any submissions when it comes to human rights. You give a finger - or a testicle - and soon they'll want the whole hand - or ... ;)
That doesnt make it any less damaging and there are plenty of long term permanent side effects. Physically the side effects almost always include loss of bone density, loss of muscle mass[makes you feel weak and helpless] a 30% loss of strength in the muslces you do have. reduced body hair and growing manboobs.

Even the "desirable" traits are kind of wrong when you think of it. Difficulty getting an erection, inability to reproduce, loss of sex drive. Once you are released from prison you should have rights just like everyone else, right to reproduce, have a normal sex life etc. Its like saying someone is cured of their kleptomania by cutting their hands off.

Psychologically the effects are pretty devastating aswell. It basically destroys your self worth, makes you feel weak and useless, no longer a man etc. Depression appears in something like 98% of cases, suicide rate is extremely, extremely high.

These symptoms dont just disappear overnight once treatment stops, many of them never go, others take a long long time to sort out.

I am not saying chemical castration is all bad, because there are pretty powerful positive effects aswell, for instance if a sex offender felt like their sex drive and violence was out of control and needed a way to fix it, this would be a valid option for him as long as he is aware of the strong side effects, castration would allow him to easily control his sex drive and he wouldnt get angered as easily, much less prone to violence and less dangerous if he did.

What is wrong is to force this upon someone, it is completely unethical and against their human rights.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)