• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Practical Teachers (2 Viewers)

chaldoking

HSC
Hey Guys,

I was wanting to know whether or not practical teachers can be scheduled during the HSC year? I would think that it would disadvantage students if it were able to be done - especially if students are used to the teaching method of the original teacher. What are your thoughts?

Numbers

Banned
HSC
Yep. In fact, they bring in practical teachers SPECIFICALLY for the HSC year so that the student teacher can get a feel for the HSC atmosphere.

chaldoking

HSC
Numbers said:
Yep. In fact, they bring in practical teachers SPECIFICALLY for the HSC year so that the student teacher can get a feel for the HSC atmosphere.
Have you ever had one yourself? I mean its abit unfair on the students esp if they are used to the teaching method of the original teacher. Can complaints be made or anything like that - because I cannot stand practical teachers especially in my HSC year next year.

Numbers

Banned
HSC
chaldoking said:
Have you ever had one yourself? I mean its abit unfair on the students esp if they are used to the teaching method of the original teacher. Can complaints be made or anything like that - because I cannot stand practical teachers especially in my HSC year next year.
Yo man, I was kidding. Sorry.

Nah, I doubt you'd have a student teacher in your final year. In fact, I haven't had a student teacher since year 10. I'm pretty sure there are rules that say that student teachers must only teach the lower grades, so don't worry, it's all good.

chaldoking

HSC
Numbers said:
Yo man, I was kidding. Sorry.

Nah, I doubt you'd have a student teacher in your final year. In fact, I haven't had a student teacher since year 10. I'm pretty sure there are rules that say that student teachers must only teach the lower grades, so don't worry, it's all good.
kk lol you got me scared for a moment. I had a practical teacher this year for ancient, was great! but other than that the other ones are all noobs.

Numbers

Banned
HSC
chaldoking said:
kk lol you got me scared for a moment. I had a practical teacher this year for ancient, was great! but other than that the other ones are all noobs.
Yep, I also had a pretty good student teacher for History in year 10. No but I doubt you'd get one for year 12. It'd by pretty absurd if you did.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I dunno, one of the classes this year had a Student teacher for Physics. The normal teacher was so dodgy, that most found the student teacher a lot better than the normal teacher. :p

HSC
N/A
chaldoking said:
Hey Guys,

I was wanting to know whether or not practical teachers can be scheduled during the HSC year? I would think that it would disadvantage students if it were able to be done - especially if students are used to the teaching method of the original teacher. What are your thoughts?
man i hope not

if we were given a student teacher i would protest like hell, why would they be allowed to teach hsc students when they can teach lower grades?

5233andy

HSC
I had one for one of my subjects. THe student teacher turned out to be able to teach more effectively than our usual teacher. Enough said.

corsalui

HSC
I think that student teachers shouldn't really be teaching HSC students.
From experiences and stories told by my sister who did the HSC last year, student teachers could maybe just observe HSC classes and apply their teaching to younger classes. My sister had an English student teacher, who took over from their teacher, who was Head of English and Annica (my sis) said that the teacher had no ideas of the texts they were studying and taught them different ideas and concepts to what their original teacher had taught them.
When their teacher returned, she was very upset because she believed that the girls had been slacking off and blamed the girls... so my sister was cramming all night for her English trials and was very upset with the student teacher.

I don't disagree with the idea of letting student teachers teach HSC classes, for the atmosphere, however I believe that they should maybe, as in the case of my sisters year, be more familiar with the texts and maybe only teach the class for a shorter time period and focus on the younger classes.

Or another suitable idea, would to teach HSC classes right at the beginning of the HSC i.e. Term 4 of Year 11, when Year 12 work starts.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
I think student teachers for English would be pretty different to student teachers in other subjects though. English depends alot on experience in my opinion, since you have to be familiar with so many texts and their subsequent ideas and concepts.

With other subjects, most student teachers already know the content since the syllabus is relatively fixed and requires them to teach the same thing every year. So really, with subjects like Physics and Chemistry, it depends on their teaching style whether the student teacher can actually teach or not.

HSC
I had a student teacher for English this year, luckily it was only for a three week period and she had some very interesting perspectives on the text that our teacher hadn't ever seen.
So I had a good experience overall, but I can understand why people wouldn't.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
I've had some student teachers for some of my subjects, but my teachers are always there in the classroom while they teach. The one I had for Legal was pretty good, she started some insightful discussions in class. We also had one in Physics, but he just sat at the back of the classroom taking notes...

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I had a student teacher for English. She was more or less the same as the regular teacher. For Economics our normal teacher went on Holiday in term 3 and he got replaced by an awesome teacher. She was so awsome that my marks went from 65% to 90%.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
kaz1 said:
I had a student teacher for English. She was more or less the same as the regular teacher. For Economics our normal teacher went on Holiday in term 3 and he got replaced by an awesome teacher. She was so awsome that my marks went from 65% to 90%.
was she lenient on the marking?

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
ive been going down in economics since we got a new teacher:
end of first assesment: 1st
end of half yearly's: 4th (by 1 mark :mad: )
----------------new teacher--------------------------
end of term 3 assesment: 6th
final yearly's: havn't got marks back yet, but definitely dropped from 6th

chaldoking

HSC
We have an assessment policy for each individual subject, I am pretty sure a dot point requires teachers (not practicals) can only mark. And the school teaching policy - I have not read, but it does comment on prac teachers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)