• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Predict 2009 cut offs? (1 Viewer)

Q2C-ME

2SUS
HSC
as the title suggests.....is it possible?...or do they just fluctuate to much...um e.g.

B Arts/Law @ Macq last year was 90.20 DFEE nd i think 93ish CSP.....ehhh nd now it is lyk almost 96CSP ( no more dfees)....any thoughts where it is heading?

Fat Fung

HSC
i dun think the cut-offs will fluctuate...since its all abt supply and demand for the courses. No more DFEE wouldnt necessarily leads to an increase demand on certain subjects (since CSP needed a higher UAI) and pushed up the uai cut-offs.

However, it is rumoured that the cut-offs will be lowered. IF (on certain subjects) candidates who wished to enter on the course could not meet up with the uni's cut-offs, the cut-offs will be lowered for the unis to accept more students. (due to the fact there are no longer priorities for "rich" ppl)

doink

Clone
HSC
I would say it would go back down to what it was for 07 entry since 08 was a weird year for all applicants (smartest group in a decade) so prolly more people wanting to do law. HOWEVER i have been told mcq is losing some staff and uni spots for law so i wouldnt be surprised if it were 95-96

cheney31

HSC
with the easing of defee places. wouldnt there be more CSP courses as compare to last year? i thought the number of CSP places this year for each course will increase slightly due to the easing of defee places and therefore the cut-off will be lowered?

Fat Fung

HSC
TRUE
this is my guess:

if a course provides 10 spots for 15 candidates
the old system will reserve 2 for DFEE and 1 for overseas

but no more DFEE means there will be 2 extra spots, but then the uni will definitely give 1 more seat out for another intl. student.

Finally, 15 candidates, 8 will get in and 2 from overseas.

AND YES, 08 is the smartest year group in the past 7 or 8 years.
a lot will fight for LAW, medicine, comm and/or any combine degrees will law, med, comm

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Whether a year is smart or not should not reflect on the cutoff, considering UAI is a ranking and even in a 'smart' year, people will still come first, second, third etc. A inflated cut off from 2008 would only imply a larger candidature who undertook the HSC, as spots are generally fixed and a larger candidature would certainly mean people with higher UAI can get in.

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
visual communication at uts went up 6 from 90.05 to 95.9 so yeh, fluctuation there.

doink

Clone
HSC
Templar said:
Whether a year is smart or not should not reflect on the cutoff, considering UAI is a ranking and even in a 'smart' year, people will still come first, second, third etc. A inflated cut off from 2008 would only imply a larger candidature who undertook the HSC, as spots are generally fixed and a larger candidature would certainly mean people with higher UAI can get in.
More intelligent people = More people who believe that they are eligible to do law and would apply hence cut-off increases.

If everyone applied for BA then the cut-off would sky-rocket similarly.

And lol at the idiot who thinks 08 is the smartest group for 7 or 8 years, he has no idea.

X

xeuyrawp

I think everyone here's missing the vital part about 'supply and demand' - ie the supply part. Does everybody realise that from year to year, universities sometimes reduce or increase the intake for a specific course by hundreds? Say if Macquarie combined LLB increased its intake by 200, that may bump the course down by 0.5. However if Macquarie did so in its BIT (much smaller group), it may bump the course down by 5 points.

Obviously these are contrived examples, but it illustrates my point. It's impossible to discuss supply properly unless you're one of the few people at UAC or your university to know the plans for intake numbers. Very few universities disclose how many students are in a given course, and if they do, they're usually unreliable figures because they're later in the first year (after dropouts). Very few staff members at universities know about (care about, rather) the exact intake, either, because of people deferring, etc.

Secondly, I have no idea why people try to argue about the demand side of things, either, ie 'smartest group in a decade' blah blah. Some courses are in demand because they're timeless. Others, for example a lot at UWS, are in demand because they use buzzwords relevant to 18 year olds (forensics, criminology, etc). It's impossible to discuss demand properly unless you've done a bulk of empirical research. I personally would love to see research done in the area of HSC preferences, but to my knowledge, no significant work's been done. Most importantly, unless you know the trends of what kind of students (UAI-wise) apply for each course, and in what numbers, you can't make any predictions. Most people make assumptions based on 1) the current UAI itself, and 2) pretending that x type of student (with their UAI) prefers y kind of course; the second part of this has generally been proved to be flawed in the past, I think.

Since it's impossible to discuss supply and demand properly, there's really no way to properly gauge the jump or fall of a UAI cutoff for any given year.

This is not even getting into the issue of UAI 'tampering' (although it's not really the correct word) - where some universities seem to have lovely UAI cutoffs at 80, 85, 90, 95, etc.

So yeah, the bottom line is that you can't really predict these things at all, but rather you'll just have to work hard and hope for the best. :) I don't see the argument that the cutoffs will affect preferences, either, if anyone wants to bring that up.

Late edit: At this point I'll add that the UAI system is fucked up, and itself creates another significant but unnecessary obstacle for students wanting to get into uni. I really hope that I see it go in my lifetime.

Last edited by a moderator:

mattbannister

HSC
gloworm14 said:
visual communication at uts went up 6 from 90.05 to 95.9 so yeh, fluctuation there.
Partly due to UTS' new bonus point scheme, the majority of students studying VisComm would have received 5 bonus points based on their results in specific subjects, hence the rise from 90.05 to 95.05 was inevitable, the true UAI only went up by .85. :)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
doink said:
More intelligent people = More people who believe that they are eligible to do law and would apply hence cut-off increases.

If everyone applied for BA then the cut-off would sky-rocket similarly.
Absolute intelligence has nothing to do with UAI. It simply means that in any other year, you would have received a higher UAI.

Even suppose you have an IQ of 200, but you were with a bright cohort and only get a UAI of 99. Would you still apply for USyd law (ref 99.55)? Probably not. The number of people getting that high UAI is relatively static, and this is what affects the number of people applying for law because they think they can get in, so absolute intelligence is an insignificant factor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)