• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Prepared essays and writing on the spot (1 Viewer)

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Hello,

I have asked a few teachers about this and they have kinda different answers.

A few past HSCers have told me they had a prepared essay in their exam HOWEVER it was not answering a specific question but quite general so they can mold it into the question.

Others say you should know the main points and not prepare something, but keep practicing with past papers.

I feel very un prepared if I don't have something prepared...

Is it a waste to have something a bit prepared for exams? Opinions?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It's personal preference and what works best for you. It's probably best to have at the very least, memorised some quotes ready to use.

enoilgam

HSC
In my opinion, there is a big difference between a memorised response and a pre-planned response. A memorised response is where you memorise an entire essay whereas a pre-planned response is where you only remember parts of your essay (usually, most people memorise body paragraphs minus topic/linking sentences so that they can better mould their response to the question). For english and SOR, a pre-planned response can be very effective - most people employ this method for those subjects. Outright memorisation is very ineffective and a big risk because its very difficult to mould your response to fit the question. For most humanities subjects other than SOR, both a memorised and pre-prepared response usually dont work and are largely ineffective, because the questions asked are usually too specific.

Although as something said, its best to do whatever works for you - some people find both methods to be ineffective in all subjects.

loaves

HSC
pre-planned response is where you only remember parts of your essay (usually, most people memorise body paragraphs minus topic/linking sentences so that they can better mould their response to the question).
Agreed. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having things planned/memorised, as long as you are willing to adapt. To be honest, I think going into an exam without pre-planned paragraphs puts you at a severe disadvantage and would really not recommend it.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Thanks for your responses.

Looking at past papers, I have realised for example in modern history, in international studies section, there is a question for example in Germany and the collapse on the Weimer republic. Obviously questioned in a different way.

Is that the similar system for other papers and other subjects?

Also, to pre plan an essay, is it just a general type essay? And I remember during pre lim year it was sort of easy to know what would appear however is that the same with the HSC?

Shooky_Nooky

HSC
Uni Grad
I used to memorise important points and quotes, and then just construct the essay on the spot. Is essay writing a strong point for you? :)

Oh, and with past exams, you can pretty much narrow it down to what the question will supposedly be (although it's best to study pretty much a bit of everything :D)...

enoilgam

HSC
Thanks for your responses.

Looking at past papers, I have realised for example in modern history, in international studies section, there is a question for example in Germany and the collapse on the Weimer republic. Obviously questioned in a different way.

Is that the similar system for other papers and other subjects?

Also, to pre plan an essay, is it just a general type essay? And I remember during pre lim year it was sort of easy to know what would appear however is that the same with the HSC?
I wouldnt do a planned essay for modern or any other humanities subject (except SOR).

Cheesecake_a

HSC
@ shooky nooky, essays in exam conditions are not my strong point, however it may be due to my preparation time before I tackle the exam.

I guess I should just prepare a bit more than I do, and practice essays. At the moment I do not do that enough as I get busy doing my assignments and homework instead...

Shooky_Nooky

HSC
Uni Grad
@ shooky nooky, essays in exam conditions are not my strong point, however it may be due to my preparation time before I tackle the exam.

I guess I should just prepare a bit more than I do, and practice essays. At the moment I do not do that enough as I get busy doing my assignments and homework instead...
Alright then :) I reckon, for your humanities subs at least, write a ton of practice essays (don't memorise them completely, or you might not be able to shape your answer to suit the question :)), so at least that way, you can find it a bit easier in the future to formulate your answers, and, don't forget to learn the content :) Most markers are looking for quality, not just quantity (but that's pretty much common sense)

enoilgam

HSC
Just a question about pre-planned responses, what parts of an essay do you suggest we try to memorise?
For english you usually plan a response which covers the main themes of belonging. For mine I learned more than what I needed, so I I could pick and choose what I wanted in my essay on the day

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Prepare something but know your text well enough so that you can mould it. For English.

For SoR I didn't prepare anything and I didn't know all that much and still got 18.5/20 for my Buddhism essay, but only 14/20 for Religion and Peace, so I dunno, it depends what you feel comfortable doing.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Just a question about pre-planned responses, what parts of an essay do you suggest we try to memorise?
Quotes, the technique(s) used, and what effect this has on the responder.

Caboufram

HSC
N/A
Draw up a table
I usually include things like
- quotes, techniques
- values
- character development and use of characterisation
- context

If you can relate concepts to values, using techniques and quotes. English shouldn't be a worry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)