• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Prerequisites for pharmacy and/or medicine? (1 Viewer)

Lordsion

HSC
Is there any prerequisites for medicine and/or pharmacy?

I know there is assumed knowledge ..... but if you dont know the assumed knowledge will they still accept you?

BECAUSE .... i have a big decision to make - i can drop my 2 unit mathematics ...... cause i SUCK at maths ...... and it is my sixth - non counting subject ....... so if it is not a prerequisite i may drop it.

Hence i will be doing
  • Chemistry
  • Economics
  • Business
  • Biology
  • English Advanced
  • MINUS maths advanced

Advice??

FugitiveGirl

HSC
I believe they are Chemistry, Physics and "High level mathematics" Sucks for you then, eh?

karnage

HSC
I went to this tour thingy of Syd Uni and this lady was doing a presentation for pharmacy.

From the presentation notes, it says
At least 2U of maths
2U chemistry
and some biology is not assumed but very helpful

If you drop maths, couldnt you just do a bridging course? Not too familiar with this.

ice ken

HSC
well im doing pharmacy. no maths at all. alot of chem and bio. 70% chem, 25% bio 5% english

Lordsion

HSC
I found the answer - they only place "assumed knowledge" for pharmacy - maths, chem and bio

Medicine - english

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Lordsion said:
I found the answer - they only place "assumed knowledge" for pharmacy - maths, chem and bio

Medicine - english
For medicine @ Bond, UTAS and Monash: Chem and english is a prerequisite, 2U maths+ is also required at bond in addition to chem and english.

deadbeat

HSC
definitly do 2u maths, the content wont be directly examined in medicine, but the general skills taught in 2u would be handy,

its like studying english for the HSC, they dont teach how to read and write, thats assumed, it teaches you how to interpret and then express your interpretation of the theme.

same with maths, you need maths to interpret when they write something numerical what it means.

when they talk about "logarithmic growth", they wont teach you about logs, they assume u know what it means. if you cant firgure it out then u may be in trouble.

i know some people who are very weak at maths, when i ask them a simple chemistry maths problem, they cant work it out.. like "how many mcolecules in a mole, if i only have half a mole."

they usually resort to the formula, without any understanding. i really feel sorry for them as its going to suck big time

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)