• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

problem with vid driver (2 Viewers)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
this is what i did.

i reinstalled windows and dont know what happend to my vid car settings.

i try to resintall the video drivers, but the following comes up. (see attatchment)

i have win xp, radeon 9600xt.

please ask if any more information is needed.

thanks in advance.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
well the installation cd isnt doing the job i guess

try downloading the drivers

after a reinstall you are probably missing files on the computer that didnt come with the cd also...just a thought

sunny

meh.
HSC
Have you tried the error message's suggestion? (of making your current driver is the stock standard VGA driver before installing)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
The same thing happened to me when I reformatted my computer with XP... my sound driver stuffed up and I got the error message "device cannot start" everytime i re-installed the driver. I had to replace mine, but it seems to me that you are trying to re-install the wrong driver?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
sunny said:
Have you tried the error message's suggestion? (of making your current driver is the stock standard VGA driver before installing)
i dont know what it means, which is why i posted the image, hoping someone could explain it to me.

tjk, what drivers would that be?

i dont really have a clue with this.

thank you.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
well as stated earlier i reinstalled windows. maybe i should have been a bit more specific in that i had to repair a file. not sure how/if that will affect it. the video card was working fine before that.

so windows gets installed, but videos dont play well. and when i tried to play a game a popup came up saying that i need at least a 128 mb card. i have a 256 one. also when i scroll down it is like a laggy raster scan.

so i thought i probably have to reinstall the video card. so i put the cd in for the video card. and that error message came up.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Perhaps you can try and download the newest drivers from your graphics card manufacturer instead of using the bundled driver CD - new drivers only get better (most of the time).

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
redruM said:
tjk, what drivers would that be?

sunny said:
Perhaps you can try and download the newest drivers from your graphics card manufacturer instead of using the bundled driver CD - new drivers only get better (most of the time).

thx sunny, thats what i meant

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
melsc said:
hmmm...what happens when you go to system, device manager and then ur vid card then click properties...wat does it say
see attatched.

i cannot find my card there? am i looking in the right place?

i'll have a look on the website, i'll post back before i install anything.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
yep not there.

there is:

audio codecs, legacy audio drives, legeacy video capture devices, media control devices, realtek ac97 audio for via audio controller, standard game port and video codecs.

sunny

meh.
HSC
If you know the manufacturer of your video card, try get those drivers now.

While thats happening, an alternative way of seeing what Windows has installed for you is to right click on your desktop, go to Properties => Settings, it should say blah blah on video card name. If its not there, click Advanced => Adapter, and it should give the name of the card Windows has installed.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
mm well the video should be showing up in a port somewhere

turn ur computer off and make sure its properly connected...

then see about downloading new driver from official website for the driver and install after removing what you have tried installing already

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
sunny nothing is showing up in advance>adapter.

how can i check whether the computer is recognising that the card is there?

edit: melc you mean, the computer is not picking it up?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
thats what i am going to do next...but how do i check if the computer has recognised it being there?

btw, by onboard you mean actually in there? yes it is...because it was working before i repaired windows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)