• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

proof read my story + mark out 15 (1 Viewer)

bettina44

HSC
well here's my story, i got 13/15 in my assessment task and i'm trying to scab those extra two marks

His limbs moved frantically, legs arching upwards, hands gripping aimlessly, clawing feebly onto the walls as gravity works against him. His body thrashes in protest against the force that is pulling him backwards. In a desperate attempt to find something to hang onto, he grabs his lifeline- the essence of his existence, his foundation. All will be well as long as he holds on to that.

Right?

Determined not to give in he clings on, gripping tightly as the inevitable force pulls him outwards, outwards, a roar of gushing water forming a whirlpool of sound that engulfs his ears.

Why would anything take him away from the place where he belongs?

The walls are closing in, nudging against his head attempting to push him out, into the river.

There’s no escape.

No way but down.

No.

Fear kicks in.

Now what?

For months his body has gone through drastic transformations, physically preparing for that moment, now the metamorphosis is almost complete and is reaching its last stages. Soon, he will be ready. But not yet.

His world would fall apart and he would fall with it.

The ceiling presses in and before him, his lifeline writhes.

He plummets into pain.

He had only moments to think of his world. One would envy it, a simple cocoon of tangible comfort, a natural barrier that served as a shield from reality. Nestled deep in the womb of humanity it is his safe haven. Yet a primal need would take him away from that.

The impact takes it toll on his fragile being; furious waves breaks over his bruised, battered, skin-torn body, feeling the full throttle of the water pulling him into the whirlpool.

Into the unknown.

He moves his arms move recklessly against the current in an attempt to push his way out. His tries to scream, but water engulfs his mouth, absorbing any sound. He doesn’t want to leave his world where he’s been for so long; he can’t leave it, not now.

But he’s no match for the relentless force.

The rapid surge of water pulls him in, the warm liquid tumbling his body. The pressure launches him into to a narrow underwater crevice. Exhausted he resigns himself, he can no longer resist as the surge of water continues to bring him deeper in.

Powerless, he can only watch on as every contraction pulls him away to see his own special world collapse, the soft pink glowing walls darken to a cruel red, the blood cells that once flowed in unison turns aggressive and violent, the mad rush of fluid from the increase in blood pressure and that soft thudding sound made by the heart always by his side keeping him company fading, disintegrating.

Then, looking beyond into the unknown, seeing the light ahead, he experiences his first sense of touch, a latex glove clutching his head.

Word count: 477

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Well, I couldn't give it a mark out of 15, not being experienced in that are of things, but a few remarks might help get those 2 extra marks for the next one.

Firstly, try and steer clear of adverbs. Stephen King, in his book "On Writing" talks about them being lazy writing and bad. Try and use some other way of writing it, as much as possible. Sometimes you can't get away without them but most times you can. Just look at the adverbs scattered liberally throughout your first sentence!

Also, your first verb is in past tense and then the rest is present tense. Check that all tenses match everywhere!

A big one, and one you may have heard before "show, don't tell". You tell me "gripping tightly". Why not describe it by saying "he dug his fingers deeper into the wall" or "his knuckles went white as he squeezed the cord". Something is needed to build a picture in the reader's mind.

When you get action, shorten your sentences and make them more urgent:
"The walls close in. Hardness nudges his head. It's pushing him. He could never survive in the river."

Shorter sentences make the pace faster and cause the reader's heart to pump faster and build the tension. That's what you want.

Anyway, hope that helps. 13/15 is a great mark. I'd move on and think about your next conquest :D

well here's my story, i got 13/15 in my assessment task and i'm trying to scab those extra two marks

His limbs moved frantically, legs arching upwards, hands gripping aimlessly, clawing feebly onto the walls as gravity works against him. His body thrashes in protest against the force that is pulling him backwards. In a desperate attempt to find something to hang onto, he grabs his lifeline- the essence of his existence, his foundation. All will be well as long as he holds on to that.

Right?

Determined not to give in he clings on, gripping tightly as the inevitable force pulls him outwards, outwards, a roar of gushing water forming a whirlpool of sound thatengulfs his ears.

Why would anything take him away from the place where he belongs?

The walls are closing in, nudging against his head attempting to push him out, into the river.

There’s no escape.

No way but down.

No.

Fear kicks in.

Now what?

For months his body has gone through drastic transformations, physically preparing for that moment, now the metamorphosis is almost complete and is reaching its last stages. Soon, he will be ready. But not yet.

His world would fall apart and he would fall with it.

The ceiling presses in and before him, his lifeline writhes.

He plummets into pain.

He had only moments to think of his world. One would envy it, a simple cocoon of tangible comfort; a natural barrier that served as a shield from reality. Nestled deep in the womb of humanity it is his safe haven. Yet a primal need would take him away from that.

The impact takes it toll on his fragile being; furious waves breaks over his bruised, battered, skin-torn body, feeling the full throttle of the water pulling him into the whirlpool.

Into the unknown.

He moves, his arms move recklessly against the current in an attempt to push his way out. His tries to scream, but water engulfs (not sure this is really what you meant to say - better to say his mouth is engulfed) his mouth, absorbing any sound. He doesn’t want to leave his world where he’s been for so long; he can’t leave it, not now.

But he’s no match for the relentless force.

The rapid surge of water pulls him in, the warm liquid tumbling his body. The pressure launches him into to a narrow underwater crevice. Exhausted he resigns himself, he can no longer resist as the surge of water continues to bring him deeper in.

Powerless, he can only watch on as every contraction pulls him away to see his own special world collapse, the soft pink glowing walls darken to a cruel red, the blood cells that once flowed in unison turns aggressive and violent, the mad rush of fluid from the increase in blood pressure and that soft thudding sound made by the heart always by his side keeping him company fading, disintegrating.

Then, looking beyond into the unknown, seeing the light ahead, he experiences his first sense of touch, a latex glove clutching his head.

Word count: 477

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)