• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Psych @ uws and beyond? (1 Viewer)

jivemonkey

HSC
I'm graduating from a b. sci at usyd and I'm interested in doing the grad dip in psych at bankstown or penrith (I'm just below a credit avg, so usyd's grad dip won't accept me). I ordered the information pack from uws, but it didn't give me any more info than what I got from the uws website! lol

What I want to know is how difficult it is to get into psych (I'm assuming uws' grad dip is the same as usyd's in that the grad dip students study alongside undergrads). The good unis guide said it was of avg difficulty to get into bankstown and easier to get into penrith. Is this true? I don't know how much faith I should put in the good unis guide.

Also, after the honours year (or post grad dip year), is it absolutely necessary to go on to a master's? My psych lecturer at usyd said that some people do two years internship under an accredited psychologist. What's the difference? Is it the opportunity to do research/gain greater research skills, different available job prospects, etc.?

Sorry for the huge ass post, I've been wondering about this for a while :)

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hey, I would suggest calling the UWS Course Information Centre on 1800 897 669 as it is serviced by current UWS students, some of which study Psychology. I am sure they could help you out or put you in touch with the course adviser. I would also suggest calling the Australian Psychological Society (APS). I would also recommend going to the UWS open day which is this Sunday 17 August at Parramatta campus. There will be presentations on psychology from academics. See event info here:
http://www.yourfuture.uws.edu.au/events/open_day

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)