• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Public Goods and Public Sector Goods (1 Viewer)

blue16

HSC
N/A
Can any body please tell me the difference between a public good and a public sector good? and an example of each?

I know that a public sector good is provided by the government or its agencies. And i know that public goods are non excludable and non rival.
This question was in my trial exam worth 3 marks.

Thanks Heaps in advance

sk8ie_boi

peaker
HSC
well, a public good refers to an item that private firms are unwilling to supply as they are not available to restrict uage and benefits to those willing to pay for the good.. so therefore the government provide these goods e.g. parks, street lights ...

a public sector good is something i've never heard of .. i guess it main things such as StateRail and CityRail and SydBuses .. u know like u have to pay for them .. but it's still provided by the government...

mattchan

HSC
A public sector good is a good/service provided by the government, which doesnt necessarily have to be a public good.

For example, defence is a public good and also a public sector good becaue it is nonrival and non-excludable and is provided by the government.

Trains would be a public sector good but is not a public good because you have to pay for this service and consumption of this service would limit others from using it.

I hope thats right, and helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)