• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Question about my UAI. (2 Viewers)

Ricky09

HSC
I am doing these subjects:

- Business Studies
- Legal Studies
- General Mathematics
- Standard English
- Information, processes and technology
- Studies of Religion

My first set of results were around 75-80%.

I am looking to get a UAI of 86.

I realise i have to pick up my results. But, will the subjects i am doing be able to realistically get me a 86?

Oh, and how do i find out what my school is ranked?

Last edited:

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
i'd say about high band 5's for each subject if you want 85+

Ricky09

HSC
Where can i find JUAI?

And what if my school isn't on that list?

felixcthecat

HSC
i'd say u need a strong band 5 in standard english and maths... is band 6 possible in them?... i don't think any of your subjects are particularly scaled up? depends on whether you have changed your study habits and drastically improve on your subjects......

i just personally think a UAI of 86 with general maths and standard english plus no subjects that get drastically scaled up would be pretty tough work! if your school wasn't in that list pluvia posted then i'd say u need to be almost topping your grade to be on the safe side..~

haha i've been dragging on with my own thoughts for so long =.=/// sooo summary:

"aim for high band fives in all subjects (or even a low band 6!)... and if you feel confident, choose the 10 units you are most interested in or have the most confidence in and just work hard on those (that's if you have issues in studying too much ^0^)"

should check SAM when it's back up, as well as look through http://www.boredofstudies.org/scaling.php , which has a couple of good links to check out the subject you're doing and maybe decide on which ones to attack! =D

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
felixcthecat said:
i'd say u need a strong band 5 in standard english and maths... is band 6 possible in them?... i don't think any of your subjects are particularly scaled up? depends on whether you have changed your study habits and drastically improve on your subjects......

i just personally think a UAI of 86 with general maths and standard english plus no subjects that get drastically scaled up would be pretty tough work! if your school wasn't in that list pluvia posted then i'd say u need to be almost topping your grade to be on the safe side..~

haha i've been dragging on with my own thoughts for so long =.=/// sooo summary:

"aim for high band fives in all subjects (or even a low band 6!)... and if you feel confident, choose the 10 units you are most interested in or have the most confidence in and just work hard on those (that's if you have issues in studying too much ^0^)"

should check SAM when it's back up, as well as look through http://www.boredofstudies.org/scaling.php , which has a couple of good links to check out the subject you're doing and maybe decide on which ones to attack! =D
standard scales the same as advance u know?

well u can get around 85 with mid-high band 5 and a high band 4. i know because im aiming for around that range and i got similar subjects to yours.

7th Sign

HSC
i did similar subjects to you..

my advice you need to get 80 + in every one of your subjects or you will get a shit uai in the 60s like me...

I got 89/82/72/72/70 and uai was 61.40

to score 86 u need to do well in every sub.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
For a UAI of 86, you will need at least a band 5 in English, and low to mid band 6's in each other subject. Band 5's would probably be pushing it given your subject choice. It's possible to achieve a good UAI with any combination of subjects as long as you rank relatively highly in your internal assessment and score highly in the HSC exam.

I_F

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
legal scales alright.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
ps. A UAI is a ranking from 30 - 100 with increments of .05

Not a percentage.

:)

Ricky09

HSC
Yeah.

Looking at it.

I have to average around 85.

I can score a 90+ in Math. And the rest shouldn't be a problem. Will have to put some extra effort into IPT though.

Ricky09

HSC
mr_brightside said:
ps. A UAI is a ranking from 30 - 100 with increments of .05

Not a percentage.

:)
Hah. Cheers.

Must of just had the percentage thing still in my mind.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Ricky09 said:
Yeah.

Looking at it.

I have to average around 85.

I can score a 90+ in Math. And the rest shouldn't be a problem. Will have to put some extra effort into IPT though.
That's the way. Make your goals, then make them become reality. :)

I_F

felixcthecat

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
standard scales the same as advance u know?

well u can get around 85 with mid-high band 5 and a high band 4. i know because im aiming for around that range and i got similar subjects to yours.

standard scales same as advanced? then wut's with the capping of marks in standard that has made getting a band 6 in standard english and maths so much harder? =D none the less i still think u need high band 5's in all your subjects for a better chance...

i just looked into the scalings page.. english (advanced) is at 32.2 while english (standard and advanced) at 23.4 for 2003......... i realli dunno how to differentiate between the two? but surely advanced is scaled higher than standard.. but do note 25.0 is the average and only numbers above it is scaled "above average"...

wutever, i'm not gonna go on.. this is stupid =.=.. just study and do your best! that's what every teacher says =D

tappy17

HSC
I was wondering wether anyones knows where i can see what UAI i need to get into certain courses. If you know just post a reply and i'll check back in the next few days. cheers! good luck to all people doing the 06 HSC.

Last edited:

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Your school library should have a copy of the UAC guide - this lists all the UAIs required. It'll be a year out of date, but it'll give you a general idea.

I_F

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)