• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

question on electron flow (2 Viewers)

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
do electrons flow from the postive terminal to the negative terminal, or vice versa? coz im getting a little confused reading about the test charges in generators. it says that when a charge flows around the coil, it ends up at the positive terminal? help me pls i dont get it

Irskin

HSC
Conventional current in a wire flows from the positive terminal to the negative. Say for example there is a wire with an end X that has a current that flows to end Y. The charge will run from positive to negative (from X to Y). However, because the current is flowing to Y this means that end Y will be the positive end.

Conversely, for electrons, they run from the negative end of a wire to the positive end (only inside the circuit/battery). As they flow from one end of a circuit to another, the end they are flowing towards will have an excess build up of negative charges (electrons) and therfore that end will become negative, with the end they came from being positive. It is important to note that in the external circuit that the electrons will flow in the same direction as conventional current (ie. from positive to negative)

This was all very confusing to me to begin with, its lucky that my father is a physics teacher! i hope that helped out mate

passion89

HSC
In the M&G topic, it is conventional current that is dealt with, ie: the flow of positive charges from the positive terminal to the negative terminal.

Electron flow is different in that it flows from the negative to the positive terminal. Electron flow is mostly dealt with in the From Ideas to Implementation topic.

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
i get what u mean irskin. but so when a question arrives like state which direction electrons flow in a circuit or something.. do i say that they flow from positive to negative, or negative to positive? Because they start on the negative terminal, and as they leave, this terminal they started leaving on becomes positive? is that what you're saying? and so in the exam, how do we state this? which end do we call positive or negative??
thanks btw

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
if they state that it s an electron flow, you go from negative to positive.

and don't forget, when dealing with the electron flow and trying to find the force; use the left hand palm rule .. or just use the right hand palm rule and reverse the force.

Irskin

HSC
Yes, if you get a question on electron flow, state that they flow in the opposite direction as conventional current, from negative to positive. You will also need to say that the end they arrive at becomes the negative end, with the end they come from the positive end.

Last edited:

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Think of electron flow this way.

Electrons are negatively charged. When they are released from their source (ie the voltage or EMF source) they are all charged up and sent off on their own. Now what would they seek out? Somewhere positive. So they flow TO the positive end of the circuit. The EMF then boosts them up again to the negative terminal and sets them going again.

It's almost like having a ball (electron). You (being the EMF) lift it up onto a ramp (ie the negative end). It moves down the ramp and around, being attracted to the ground by gravity and ends up at your feet (the positive end). You (being the EMF) pick it up again and put it on the top of the ramp.

So, conventional current, I, just flows in the opposite direction to electron flow. Always. It's an historical OOPS. So, always use the right hand rule - ALWAYS! Don't get confused with "which hand do I use?". Just remember, electrons are opposite to current.

Hope that helps all y'all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)