• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Question regarding Macquarie Uni (1 Viewer)

ashleypage

HSC
I could have put this in the specific uni forum, but chances are i'll get a relatively biased response.
First question - is the Arts course at Macq decent?
And International Studies is significantly lower (13 points) than at USyd. Is the course there that bad, or is there some reason why there is such a difference? I get that there would be more demand at USyd, but still.

And, is Macquarie Uni pretty? =]

P

pLuvia

The UAI cut offs for courses indicates the demand for the course. The international studies at MACQ is lower than USYD is due to the fact that there are lots of places for students to enrol in that course in MACQ than USYD.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
What sort of subjects would you be interested in studying within Arts? Unis tend to be stronger in some subjects than others.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You're going to get a biased opinion on the Uni and its courses anyway, since the majority of people have never studied there, or are using (in most cases) hearsay and conjecture to judge the subjects. (this applies to every uni/course).

The Arts course is a vast and general degree, probably moreso at MQ than most, since you can major in basically anything.

IntStudies @ MQ is relatively new, (I think 1-2 years) so it may not be as popular a choice/even known as a choice, to most people.

http://blogs.usyd.edu.au/sydneylife/2006/12/help_a_phone_call_away_1.html said:
If my UAI was better/worse than I expected, should I change my preferences?

Some of the most frequently asked questions we get come from people who received a UAI that was better or worse than they expected. Sometimes, those that receive a better UAI than they expected feel pressured to change their preferences to courses with higher cut-offs. Those that receive a lower UAI than they expected may want to find out about alternative options for getting into the course they really want to do. We can help you by giving you accurate information on your options, as well as things to ask yourself if you are reconsidering your preferences.

Don’t forget that UAI cut-offs for a course are NOT an indication of the quality or difficulty of the course, but just an indication of how popular the course is. If your UAI is better than you expected, it does widen your options – but remember, a high UAI should widen your options not reduce them. In other words, law and medicine is not for everyone! Please don't think that you are "wasting" a good UAI if you opt for a course with a lower cut-off. You worked your butt off to get into the course you want to do!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I do the MQ Arts program and find it great because its so flexible, you can do a variety of subjects easily and still fit in your major. But have a think of the potential majors you have in interest in because not all uni's offer all major. UWS for example has less options of majors then MQ (I can say that because I have been to both).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)