• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

quick question (1 Viewer)

HSC
i still dont get this ranking thing. can someone explain it to me? or tell me if what i think it means is right?

Say my rank is 21/66 for a subject and i get a raw mark in the hsc of 57%, does the person who is ranked 66th get my mark? and i get the 21st lowest mark?

thanks

Riviet

HSC
N/A
PanasonicYouth said:
i still dont get this ranking thing. can someone explain it to me? or tell me if what i think it means is right?

Say my rank is 21/66 for a subject and i get a raw mark in the hsc of 57%, does the person who is ranked 66th get my mark? and i get the 21st lowest mark?

thanks
No. And definitely no. The ranking system is very very complicated, and no one will be able to tell you exactly how it works except for the people that designed this ranking system :D

Tommy_69

Old Member
HSC
nah mate u got it wrong. ok say ur rank is 22/60 or whatever. u will get the 22nd best exam mark from ur school as your "school assessment mark" (then it gets aligned). And you will get your own exam mark as your examination mark - it is aligned to.

say for eg u get 95% in the hsc mathematics exam. if that is the top mark in ur school, the person that was ranked first in that course 1/60 will get your exam mark as their "school assessment mark" and then they will get whatever they get in the exam - then its averaged to get the final hsc mark

a bit confusing but yea

helper

HSC
N/A
Marks are not automatically given the same as exam marks. The only case this is true is first and the try for last. The rest are spread according the mean and SD of the exam results, which is why gaps in rankings are important.

rusty_rouge

HSC
Tommy_69 said:
nah mate u got it wrong. ok say ur rank is 22/60 or whatever. u will get the 22nd best exam mark from ur school as your "school assessment mark" (then it gets aligned). And you will get your own exam mark as your examination mark - it is aligned to.

a bit confusing but yea

Okay - sorry to have to ask you to spell it out - I just want to be clear on this - I'm first in my school at english, with a mark of 97. I keep this mark if I come first in the HSC exam? What if I come second? I'm still a little confused, lol. Good thread though - this issue always had me a little lost...

helper

HSC
N/A
You come first in English in the exam, you receive the same mark for assessment and exam. This will be your aligned exam mark.
You don't come first in the exam, you will receive your aligned exam mark and your moderated assessment mark will be equal to the aligned exam mark of the person who came first in the exam.

All other moderated assessment marks will be below yours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)