• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

rank, school mark, hsc mark, scaling? (1 Viewer)

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
what i'm really confused about is that does the rank u get at school, lets say 5th, for any particular subject mean that the hsc mark u get is the one ranked 5th from ur school??? and that alters ur school mark? or does that mark belong to u as ur hsc mark as well?

o yeah, and i heard from someone that ur marks get scaled twice. Like they scale ur raw mark to give u ur band and then it's scaled again to get a uai. i was just wondering if that is true.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
If you are ranked 5th, you will -approximately- achieve the 5th highest HSC exam mark as your moderated assessment mark taking account of the relative difference in marks between the students. This entirely changes the school mark, which is why the school's don't like to reveal the final school assessment mark as they know it will be changed.

Refer to this flowchart.

http://users.on.net/unix/hscprocess.jpg

It shows there are 2 different processes and they are not scaled twice.

Rather they both use the same RAW HSC mark.

wait i still dont understand
so does this mean if you're ranked X based on your school assessments, then you will recieve the Xth HSC mark from your school? regardless of what you get?? sorry im seriously confused :( please tell me im wrong

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by layzeee student
wait i still dont understand
so does this mean if you're ranked X based on your school assessments, then you will recieve the Xth HSC mark from your school? regardless of what you get?? sorry im seriously confused :( please tell me im wrong
basically - yes! but you have missed something - you get the Xth hsc mark from your school - FOR YOUR SCHOOL ASSESSMENT MARK. for your hsc mark you get the real hsc mark you got

pretend you are ranked first in assessments. on the day of the hsc exam you have a bad day. for the hsc, the higest mark anyone at your school got was 98, but your mark was 40, then your mark will be (98+40)/2

but more complicatedly - you will received approximatly the Xth mark for your school mark. they take into account the differences between students school assessment marks as well.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
It won't be exactly that Xth ranked mark. But it would be close to it. They take account of the relative difference in marks between the students that's why.

oic .. so thats what they mean by rank? thanks "iambored"

and by the way, does that mean even if you come like bottom 5 in all your subjects for assessments, you can still achieve a +90UAI if everyone in your school does well in the HSC for all your subjects? like all +85 in HSC?

Last edited:

Vinniejaa

I still confused

I want to get 99.50+ and I go to Nort Syndye boys which is a prety good school. I end up getting low 90's raw but still end up coming 10 - 12th. does this mean that I will be scaled down or up. can i get 99.50+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)