• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Recommended Math Books (1 Viewer)

MailMofo

HSC
Due to ignorance before my senior level of schooling, I failed to choose any subject even remotely math related. I've resorted to tutoring for the past year and a half but now that I've lost my tutor, I need to study on my own.

So, as the title blatantly states, what math books would you recommend for an intermediate senior level? What math books enabled you to pull through the HSC with flying colours?

Any recommendations will be very much appreciated.

- Trent

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I can say: Do NOT get the one by SB Jones and whatnot. It's a green book called "2 unit mathematics". It's... horrible. It's big and thick. Fitzpatrick is condensed at least.

MailMofo

HSC
Thanks for the reply's. I will definitely take a look at JB Fitzpatrick's book when i get a chance.

More reply's more them welcome, don't be shy.

Freestyler94

HSC
If your looking for something easy that will help your basics, try Maths in Focus.
However if you would like to challenge yourself try Cambridge or New Senior Mathematics.

daniieee

HSC
There is a yellow maths book, "New Senior Mathematics" by JB Fitzpatrick, this book is quite good.
Yeah Fitzpatrick is great, I'd highly recommend it.

I can say: Do NOT get the one by SB Jones and whatnot. It's a green book called "2 unit mathematics". It's... horrible. It's big and thick. Fitzpatrick is condensed at least.
Haha well that one might be good for exam practice I suppose, but definitely not to learn the content, no.

If your looking for something easy that will help your basics, try Maths in Focus.
However if you would like to challenge yourself try Cambridge or New Senior Mathematics.
Yeah Cambridge is definitely the hardest, but hard isn't necessarily the best. I use Cambridge and I think it's quite good, there's always something in there to challenge you.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
When I did 2u - all I used was Fitzpatrick. Never touched Cambridge (too cheap to purchase it).
Apparently Coroneous is good as well (I have it, but it's too ugly so I didn't bother using it) and Maths In Focus is just a joke.

That's just my opinion, but hey, it got me a Band 6.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Coroneos FTW.

Although it misses some things like d/dx (a^x) = a^x * lna (Is this even in the 2U maths syllabus??)

MailMofo

HSC
Well, it looks like the Fitzpatrick book is the way to go, just having so much trouble finding it. I've rang numerous book stores now and they have not even heard of it.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Coroneos FTW.

Although it misses some things like d/dx (a^x) = a^x * lna (Is this even in the 2U maths syllabus??)
yes it is.

My advice: Cambridge and Coroneas

Cambridge is all round good
Coroneas gives you plenty of Q and the Q variate heaps so keeps you on your toes (well for 2U), yes coroneas doesn't look pretty but GET OVER IT! Have a look at uni textbooks, no little shitty cartoons or anything in them and it's just typewriter printed.

I got 98 with them

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
You spelt Coroneos wrong :p

I still reckon that it's the only book you need. I had Cambridge, but never actually used it.

untouchablecuz

HSC
for 2 u and 3 u, i used:

maths in focus
coroneos past paper book (blue one for 3u)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Coroneos.

Fitzpatrick is ok but it needs more questions.

SB Jones is good only for 3U.

lychnobity

HSC
I used the New Senior Mathematics - JB Fitzpatrick

It's hard to find, but if you can get the book's ISBN, you can order at a bookshop, and pick it up when it's in.

Liked it more because the explanations weren't as convoluted as Cambridge.

untouchablecuz

HSC
I used the New Senior Mathematics - JB Fitzpatrick

It's hard to find, but if you can get the book's ISBN, you can order at a bookshop, and pick it up when it's in.

Liked it more because the explanations weren't as convoluted as Cambridge.
i liked cambridge explanations; much more rigorous

MailMofo

HSC
Thank you for all your suggestions. Yesterday i took a mind numbing trip to the city ( I live in Newcastle ) to get JB Fitzpatrick's book and I'm fairly happy with it.

Thank you all who provided recommendations, appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)