• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Regarding the highest mark in gen. maths in HSC... (1 Viewer)

yanni

i have heard that the highest a person can get for general maths is 80. im not sure if it is the hsc mark or the uai lol ...

Trev

stix
HSC
That is incorrect.
Your UAI is unrestricted by whether you do general maths or not. I know a girl last year that got 98.80 and did general maths. I am not sure what the highest mark for general maths is, but I imagine it is 98 or 99.

Captain pi

HSC
Trev said:
I am not sure what the highest mark for general maths is, but I imagine it is 98 or 99.
Top UAI of all candidates entered in General Mathematics: 99.95 :) This does not imply that that (those) candidate(s) had General Mathematics contribute towards his (their) UAI.

Table A1 is the source.

The highest HSC mark was 100.
This scaled to 89.2% as mentioned.

anti-mathmite said:
General Maths is for people who still want to do a strain of maths (for some insane reason!), how ever, im not quite sure why the BOS hasn't made it into a 1 unit course.
Although your post includes many correct interpretations of statistical information, you ruin your credibility that mathematics is not a worthwhile subject.

There should be a common mathematics paper – replacing the English AOS. :D

Last edited:
HSC
its bullshit how people say its impossible to hit band 6, if my sister can get 47/50 for 3 unit (1993) then i dont see how 95 isnt possible for general maths that is so much easier

HSC
that doesnt sound so bad, ive had people tell me 50% in adv is same as 80% in general and i found it hard to believe

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
anti-mathmite said:
If someone likes maths (if such kinds of people exist) then they should keep advanced maths yes, but if for some reason they have an inclination to drop to General maths, go one step further and just don't take any form of maths, because taking general maths *hurts* your uai. But keep in mind you have to have at least 10 units, so make it up with some other subject.

What I am saying is heresy I know, and there is people who think different to this of course. I'm just saying what I would do. (Some advice therefore, would to not believe utmost in what im saying).

i took general bacaue i was not good at advanced and need *any* two units of maths for my uni course

and i don't think it should be made into a one unit course
considering the amount of work we do, sureits not as hard as advanced maths, buts its still alot of work...

cyclonesarah

I got 89.47% in my general maths half yearly. So that means that I realy only would have got a 89.2? This is so confusing! I find general heaps easy. There is like 4 of us in the class who can do about 3 exercises in 1 lesson but we have to wait for the rest of the class to catch up as it can sometimes take them up to 2 lessons to do about 5 questions! Its annoying! I got a few friends doing 2U Maths and there is no way i could do that! WAY TOO HARD. Only 3 people in 2U passed their half yearly (there are 25 people in the class!) General Mathematics should NOT be made to 1 unit, but it should me made harder ... well thats my opionion anyways

P

pLuvia

cyclonesarah said:
I got 89.47% in my general maths half yearly. So that means that I realy only would have got a 89.2? This is so confusing! I find general heaps easy. There is like 4 of us in the class who can do about 3 exercises in 1 lesson but we have to wait for the rest of the class to catch up as it can sometimes take them up to 2 lessons to do about 5 questions! Its annoying! I got a few friends doing 2U Maths and there is no way i could do that! WAY TOO HARD. Only 3 people in 2U passed their half yearly (there are 25 people in the class!) General Mathematics should NOT be made to 1 unit, but it should me made harder ... well thats my opionion anyways
u should go for the 2u adv maths.. if ur topping the class in general u mite as well go for the adv course...

PC

HSC
N/A
If it's any consolation, one of my students from last year got a Premier's Award - Band 6 result in every subject - and she did General Maths! Her mark was over 95.

robo3687

Tired
HSC
we did a good trick at our school.....there was a bunch of us (about 10 or so) doing adv maths but starting part way through last term we dropped to general and i'm now topping the subject and our group has about a 20 mark gap on the rest of the group (50-ish people doing general)

in our last test (which counted for half my assessment in general) i got 50/55 i think and the lowest mark was 4/55 (ouch)...lol

so i'm doing allright...i've gotten 90% and above in all practice papers and past HSC n Trials so i'm aiming for the same in the real thing

:)

7th Sign

HSC
I know some one who got 98 in general maths i thought if you were very high in a subject like 1st and you do mad in a test they do not scale you?

robo3687

Tired
HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Its dickheads like you who fuck the rest of us up. I was first in all of my assessments this year without even studying and now I have to study just to compete with these 2u guys who have dropped down. Its massively unfair for the rest of us.

well if you had studied the whole way through it wouldn't be a problem...in other words don't blame me for your lack of effort......because i don't study either....i hadn't done any of the bloody course and i still got 85 on last years HSC

this is the same at my school....al the general kids that bludge are whinging cos we do work and are smarter than them....i say to them go jump

PC

HSC
N/A
playboy2njoy said:
Its dickheads like you who fuck the rest of us up. I was first in all of my assessments this year without even studying and now I have to study just to compete with these 2u guys who have dropped down. Its massively unfair for the rest of us.
Actually, I think the idea of the "new" HSC - standards based - is that a student gets a mark based on the standards (skills, knowledge, understanding) that they demonstrate through the course. It's not based on ranks.

Wouldn't it therefore be possible for every student in a particular course to all get the same Band result, provided of course that they've all demonstrated the same level of knowledge. All students in a course might get 80% or above, simply because they've all done well on the test.

Therefore, playboy, I wouldn't worry about people like robo3687 who change courses. Provided you keep your head down and work hard, you'll get the result that you deserve.

HSC
playboy2njoy said:
You kidding? The girl that was coming first in general maths did 2u all of year 11, the best feeling ever is beating her by a longshot, then finding out she had a tutor the entire time, dont get distraught, simply strive to beat them!

robo3687

Tired
HSC
exactly....its basically all just really easy basic maths knowledge.......

we get a formula sheet for gods sake......

and for the record i was averaging 60's in 2U before the half yearly this year i which i got 42%...then i dropped

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)