• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Residential Colleges... (1 Viewer)

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
When deciding which uni to choose, colleges play an important part.

I have noticed that UNSW offers great facilities and is not as big as Usyd and therefore MAY offer advantages in this respect.

Although I have notriced that the UNSW college life isnt that great as opposed to college life at Usyd. Inofrmation coming from a few ppl, and doing some research. For example the Rawson Cup. I dont think UNSW has anything like that.

Could someone give me some insider info on what colleges are the best? (yes and i use 'best' very loosely)

Im looking for a sporting college where the overall environment/atmopsphere is really healthy. I already know that Warrane college is Opus Dei, all boys, no life, no women...so that is a no go.

Anyone have any tips/advice?

Cheers

rink

HSC
LaCe said:
I have noticed that UNSW offers great facilities and is not as big as Usyd and therefore MAY offer advantages in this respect.
I though UNSW was alot bigger than USYD

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
Yeah but marks dont indicate that it is the best uni, like James Ruse is clearly not the best school (although they do achieve high marks) atmosphere does not compare with many other schools

rink

HSC
LaCe said:
i thought UNSW was alot bigger than USYD

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
my brother lives at warrane :p was the only place with accomm when he decide to live on campus... hmm wonder why?

nah but even so they still have sports and a lot of drinking (just not on campus). LaCe are you a girl?

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
What' I've noticed is that Usyd has better colleges but UNSW is a better uni, just my opinion, and not necessarily a correct one.

I just get that feeling that is all. Just the atmosphere is the important thing for me, not the academic reputation of unis, even though i'm aiming for com/law. Sport is the major thing for me and Usyd seems to be more competitive than unsw in its sport but i dunno. Someone please enlighten me...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
LaCe said:
like James Ruse is clearly not the best school (although they do achieve high marks)
Dispute...

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
For the post above Warrane is catholic, all boys and run by opus dei.

The only colleges I've been inside are NEW and Baxter. Both are nice. New is a little bit more spiffy.

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
neo_o said:
Dispute...
Are u kidding me??

I cant openly say anything because i have never actually ateended the school but from talking to ppl who went there and go there, i see they are missing out. But im not going to say anything cause ppl have diff views.

But Schoolboy Passion!!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Get off the topic of your opinion of Ruse or I shut this thread down. It's not relevant to colleges.

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
But yeah hearing a lot of things from different ppl and i get the feeling that Usyd colleges own UNSW colleges but UNSW as a uni is better...and i know a lot of ppl will strongly argue against this but as a yr12 student coming into uni i just get that feeling.

Please prove me wrong

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I think you would enjoy college life at either of the unis and you should pick based on your course and not the colleges. College life is what you make it- if you make an effort to participate you will have fun and make friends no matter what college you are at. I live in UTS Housing, which is just an apartment block with barely any organized res life, yet you can still have a great time here if you get involved and socialize with people. You shouldn't pick which uni to go to based on the colleges, you should pick based on the course. At the end of the day it's just a place to sleep, and if it comes with a social residential life built in then that is a bonus.

I have a friend that goes to New and she really likes it, and gets involved in res life etc. They have a lot of social events and stuff, I would say it has good residential life.

Also it depends on what you want from a college as to how "good" it is... are sports important to you, or the arts? Or just drinking? Or academia? Do you want to live a more independent life, or do you want to go to a college where there are set meal times, formal dinners you have to attend etc, or one that is more flexible? Also do you want to go to a college with mostly private school people, people from the country, local vs international students or a good mix of everything? Different colleges have different pros and cons. It's hard to say what is good or not, different strokes for different folks.

You did say sports, and I don't know much about that, but yeah there are lots of different good and bad qualities about various colleges at various unis.

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
I think you would enjoy college life at either of the unis and you should pick based on your course and not the colleges. College life is what you make it- if you make an effort to participate you will have fun and make friends no matter what college you are at. I live in UTS Housing, which is just an apartment block with barely any organized res life, yet you can still have a great time here if you get involved and socialize with people. You shouldn't pick which uni to go to based on the colleges, you should pick based on the course. At the end of the day it's just a place to sleep, and if it comes with a social residential life built in then that is a bonus.

I have a friend that goes to New and she really likes it, and gets involved in res life etc. They have a lot of social events and stuff, I would say it has good residential life.

Also it depends on what you want from a college as to how "good" it is... are sports important to you, or the arts? Or just drinking? Or academia? Do you want to live a more independent life, or do you want to go to a college where there are set meal times, formal dinners you have to attend etc, or one that is more flexible? Also do you want to go to a college with mostly private school people, people from the country, local vs international students or a good mix of everything? Different colleges have different pros and cons. It's hard to say what is good or not, different strokes for different folks.

You did say sports, and I don't know much about that, but yeah there are lots of different good and bad qualities about various colleges at various unis.
Thanks a lot, that has got me thinking...

Both unis have really good Law faculties so that is not really important for me. You can drink at about anywhere so that too isnt that important. Its about the atmosphere and i know if u "get amongst it" u can always have fun but it is the atmosphere that is important for me.

Yeah with cricket I will get involved in grade and hopefully bigger and better things but that is my passion and i'll do it wherever i go.

It is the pppl that make the atmosphere really, not the college but reputation has it that the atmosphere at certain places are "better" (used loosely) and more enjoyable.

As you said, u get international students in both, u get locals at both, u get country at both (i think), but do u get private boys/girls in both? (answer yes for unis but no for colleges)

I'm choosing unis based on the atmosphere again. We'll see....

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Have you been on campus at either of the unis.... there are other things too like value for money (what do you get for your fee, what is the size of the rooms, what is the food like, what is included), do you want to live somewhere rowdy or more studious, location (USyd is closer/more accessible to Sydney CBD and Newtown, UNSW is closer to the beach and is a bit more suburban/quieter).

Plus the law degrees are a bit different, UNSW is known to be more progressive vs USyd which is more traditional from what I have heard (don't know a huge deal about it). Also isn't the USyd law school in the city, which would involve travelling in to the city for uni from college each day, while UNSW law is all on the same campus as the colleges?

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
Have you been on campus at either of the unis.... there are other things too like value for money (what do you get for your fee, what is the size of the rooms, what is the food like, what is included), do you want to live somewhere rowdy or more studious, location (USyd is closer/more accessible to Sydney CBD and Newtown, UNSW is closer to the beach and is a bit more suburban/quieter).

Plus the law degrees are a bit different, UNSW is known to be more progressive vs USyd which is more traditional from what I have heard (don't know a huge deal about it). Also isn't the USyd law school in the city, which would involve travelling in to the city for uni from college each day, while UNSW law is all on the same campus as the colleges?
Yeah law is taught in Phillip street, is that a far way from the Camperdown campus?

Cause if it is...!! (i'll be annoyed)

melbournian

mexian expat
HSC
LaCe said:
Yeah law is taught in Phillip street, is that a far way from the Camperdown campus?

Cause if it is...!! (i'll be annoyed)
Nearlly all law (not Graduate) is taught on the main campus for the first few years. And the new law faculty would probably be built by then on the main campus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)