• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Say “I do” at U@MQ (2 Viewers)

X

xeuyrawp

Weddings @ Macquarie

Imagine if you could combine a city style wedding in a parkland environment. This dream is now a reality on the magnificent campus of Macquarie University.

For a truly fairytale wedding our unique venues offer spectacular scenery set on over 25 acres of stunning lawns and parkland that has an elegant, relaxed, country-like environment just moments from Sydney’s CBD.

U@MQ venues and grounds offer you flexibility for your big day, while also delivering a beautiful backdrop for your photos.

Whether it is your ceremony on the red carpet by the lake and fountain, a simple elegant cocktail affair under the liquid amber trees or a black tie reception in the silk lined marquee with twinkling chandeliers, U@MQ truly has the most unique and versatile venues in Sydney.

Say “I do” at U@MQ

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Venue hire at universities is pretty cheap, and you get something pretty good for the money. Ample parking on weekends, and usually the staff is the students, so its pretty cheap. I can't see why not tbh.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha well that is interesting!

I guess they could start by hiring someone who doesn't have a peg leg! (Boo for slanted photos but that looks fairly good...except the lake doesn't look like that these days does it?! :p)

IhasaFlavaFlav

HSC
AsyLum said:
I guess they could start by hiring someone who doesn't have a peg leg! (Boo for slanted photos but that looks fairly good...except the lake doesn't look like that these days does it?! :p)
Congratulations you receive 5 Win Points!

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
I remember the lake was really nice in 06...don't know what happened to it after that though

prusso

HSC
it looked nice after they drained it and cleaned it out
its due for it at the end of the year
plus the fountain hasnt been the same since the "elvis" helicopter broke it

interesting to see u@mq do this considering mgsm offer exactly the same service on the other side of the lake... the first picture looks like it was a wedding we had at mgsm recently

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
You. Are. Shitting. Me.

The most unromantic place to have a wedding ever. EVER. U@MQ must be floundering financially.

"Have your wedding at Macquarie! We can guarantee you'll have students roaming in the background because our international students don't actually live anywhere. This will make your wedding more authentic, inclusive and multicultural. Trust us".

And the choice of colours for the aisle is slightly 80s (whats with the red carpet?!). And I agree Mike re: slanty camera... it makes me feel slightly sea sick.

As much as I like the lake and having the odd picnic down there, there is no way I would have my wedding there. Sure, it might be because I've spent 5 years of my life there, but that aside, having your wedding at a university is truly the most unromantic thing I've ever heard. Its like Sydney trying to flog their graduation lawn for weddings :rolleyes:

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Nah.

I'd get married at Usyd, in the Great Hall. It's gorgeous, it's sandstone, it's stained glass windows and it's not Catholic.

X

xeuyrawp

MaryJane said:
You. Are. Shitting. Me.

The most unromantic place to have a wedding ever. EVER. U@MQ must be floundering financially.

"Have your wedding at Macquarie! We can guarantee you'll have students roaming in the background because our international students don't actually live anywhere. This will make your wedding more authentic, inclusive and multicultural. Trust us".

And the choice of colours for the aisle is slightly 80s (whats with the red carpet?!). And I agree Mike re: slanty camera... it makes me feel slightly sea sick.

As much as I like the lake and having the odd picnic down there, there is no way I would have my wedding there. Sure, it might be because I've spent 5 years of my life there, but that aside, having your wedding at a university is truly the most unromantic thing I've ever heard. Its like Sydney trying to flog their graduation lawn for weddings :rolleyes:
Pretty much all my thoughts summed up. :nod:

scarybunny said:
Nah.

I'd get married at Usyd, in the Great Hall. It's gorgeous, it's sandstone, it's stained glass windows and it's not Catholic.
Rofl, are you serious? Gloomy Gothic architecture at your wedding. Great way to start your married life! *shudders*

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I'm scared of outdoor weddings because of rain and wind. Grass stains on dresses, or sand in shoes.

I've never seen the gloomy side of the quad. Even at night it's gorgeous.

X

xeuyrawp

scarybunny said:
I've never seen the gloomy side of the quad. Even at night it's gorgeous.
The few times I've been inside the Great Hall, I've hated it. It's an amazing piece of architecture (the best piece of Gothic architecture I've seen in outside of Europe), but the inside is horrible for pretty much most events.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
The inside does have a few odd things about it, all the stuff on the walls.

But it's basically just a churchy setup without the actual church.

I dunno. Haven't been in there in a while.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
Sif!

Sign me up imo!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
^^^ bahahahahahaha!!

That made my night :D Absolute gold! I think you should send them to U@MQ to use.

(Is that the groom in the background? Or one of the aforementioned random background students?!)

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
i really don't understand why everyone is so negative about MQ? yeah some of the buildings (particularly near the union centre area) look a little worse for wear, other than that, its not really a horrible uni. Last time i ran through MQ (in summer) the grass looked green and the buildings looked nice (this was where that fountain was)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
^^^ bahahahahahaha!!

That made my night :D Absolute gold! I think you should send them to U@MQ to use.

(Is that the groom in the background? Or one of the aforementioned random background students?!)
Haha, oh I'm sure they'll be scouting us :)

And umm, I'd say that would be the best man about to get lucky with the maid of honour!

Davo1111 said:
i really don't understand why everyone is so negative about MQ? yeah some of the buildings (particularly near the union centre area) look a little worse for wear, other than that, its not really a horrible uni. Last time i ran through MQ (in summer) the grass looked green and the buildings looked nice (this was where that fountain was)
You'll find that the people on here are actually some of the biggest contributors to the university as students or workers. Our cynicism has come about through being involved in these efforts and seeing the problems inherent to the uni.

No one is saying its a terrible place, heck I love the place and have great pictures of it. And you have to remember that the people commenting on here are the ones who have been there for 4-5 days a week for the last 5 years or so, what reaction do you think we're going to have?

X

xeuyrawp

^ What he said. It's the sort of relationship you have with a family member. As much as you love them, the constant proximity tends to be a bit too much.

I honestly love the view out across the grass to the lake. I've personally spent a lot of time sitting in that area doing nothing. I can also recommend going on one of the short tours with the history/poetry (if you like poetry) about the sculptures, if you like that sort of thing.

But would I ever get married on campus? Probably not.

Crates

Banned
HSC
wtf is with the massive rocks around macquarie university. seriously, i was walking around macquarie on open day, and i nearly ran into a massive stone 'statue' which was nothing more than a stone placed on a stand. wtf?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)