• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

School parking:S (1 Viewer)

LovelyBones

HSC
Not sure where im suppose to post this, so sorry if it's in the wrong section.

My high schools getting all blah about student carparking and are deciding to bring in a permit system were we have to pay so much to get a sticker or something to be allowed to park in the school grounds.
This idea was mentioned before, but was rejected because it was apparently 'illegal' to charge students to park because it was public property, now im just curious as to why they are going forward with it now if its considered illegal?
if anyone knows and can help me understand the situation, i'd appreciate it

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
I doubt it was illlegal. Anyway, welcome to the real world. You have to pay for parking at uni and pretty much anywhere else that large numbers of commuters need to park close by.

If you dont like it, dont drive, or park far away and walk, or park one bus stop/train stop away and get in that way. My local uni provides a free shuttle bus so you can do exactly that.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Not sure where im suppose to post this, so sorry if it's in the wrong section.

My high schools getting all blah about student carparking and are deciding to bring in a permit system were we have to pay so much to get a sticker or something to be allowed to park in the school grounds.
This idea was mentioned before, but was rejected because it was apparently 'illegal' to charge students to park because it was public property, now im just curious as to why they are going forward with it now if its considered illegal?
if anyone knows and can help me understand the situation, i'd appreciate it
get public transport to school you fat environmental vandal

actually, nah, don't, then blame the pill on your weight gain

aussie-boy

HSC
There are enough cars in this country without unproductive students using them

Zaza101

HSC
They had this system at my old school, its not illigal. er paid $5 year for a permit, if you parked in school parking without it, it was like a $170 fine.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Use of a market to allocate scarce resources.

Did the school make the permits available by lotto, first come first served or auction? Are the permits transferable? These are important considerations.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
At my school the permits were a $50 bond, I think the idea was that so people who drove wouldn't abuse it and do stupid shit. I doubt that a school can legally fine you but they can punish you in other means just like if you broke any other school rule.

Also get a bus to school you loser

HSC
most universities are public places and they charge for parking, so no, it's not illegal.

random boy

HSC
Im actually suprised a high school would do this! I mean im guessing that no more then 50/60 students would actually drive to school. Im guessing your school caters for older students or is some kind of senior college? Im suprised they'd bother or you must just have a high driving population at your school.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Parking at our school was free, just had to make sure the school knew your rego or they would tow your vehicle.

(Howd they tow a motorcycle chained to the fence is beyond me though.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)