• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Should I bother? (2 Viewers)

matchalolz

HSC
well i chose english extension as a subject knowing that I wasn't really interested in it but I did have my reasons for choosing it:

1. There was no other subject i was interested in doing, as one of the ones I did want to do didn't run due to not enough people
2. By taking english extension I would get a better, more experienced and nicer teacher for english extension and english advanced, as all the less experienced and not as great teachers were assigned to the non-extension classes
3. It was the subject which would give me the most free periods

now, i have a practice essay to write for english extension due on MONDAY. it does not count towards marks or anything but it is practice for the assessment essay we have to write for half yearlies (in week 5). On Monday I also have an assignment due for accounting (which I have completed already but may need to make final touches to it), and a test on accounting as well. Usually for accounting tests I never study and do quite well because its all just stuff like calculations, but i this time it is on work health safety and i totally zoned out in class and payed hardly any attention -.- i also have assignments and homework for my other subjects to do. don't know whether i should put off doing this essay

Questions is, should I bother with this essay that i have to write for english extension? I am most probably going to drop english extension at the end of yr 11, but the only reason holding me back is that i might be transferred back to a non-extension class if i drop. and also another question, is it worth keeping eng ext knowing that i really don't enjoy it? there's nothing i can do about it this year but do u guys think that being scared of getting a crap teacher for advanced is a crappy reason to continue doing eng ext? i also might be considering doing maths ext 2 in year 12 as well. please help :( opinions?

enoilgam

HSC
Given that you are only one term into year 11, I would apply yourself across all subjects. Ideally, you want to give yourself options in terms of what to drop and what to keep for the HSC. When the year progresses, you may find that some subjects dont suit you - if you have already given up on some, then this may limit your choices come year 12.

DepressedPenguino

HSC
It's still early ... focus more in class and maybe you will find something worth learning :D in my opinion, no subject is boring because ull always find something interesting within

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
What English module are you currently studying for English extension One? Perhaps you might find the module your school has chosen to study in year 12 more interesting? It is important to realise while having a good teacher is helpful, it is not the end of the world if you don't, you just need to be motivated to study harder and I am sure you are always welcome to ask the better teacher for extra help if you need to. Don't do a subject you don't like-because it will not enhance your learning experience in any way. Best wishes:)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd bother writing the essay as it is good practice, even if you end up dropping extension 1. You never know, you may perform well in extension english and it may be worthwhile continue.

matchalolz

HSC
i ended up writing the essay even if i handed it in two days late because i felt so bad since the teacher was so nice and she was getting sad/frustrated that not many people handed it in. My module is culture and values or something like that. I got 13.5/15 which wasn't too bad but i'll probably do worse in the actual thing because it's always like that :(

don't know but english isn't really my thing i guess, i dont enjoy it as much as maths and only now realised that. like with maths, there's a lot of work, but it doesn't feel that bad for me because i don't mind, but writing essays and doing homework for english just makes me stressed/unhappy. i'll probably end up dropping because i just can't cope with doing more english... hopefully i can do well enough in the rest of my subjects to pull it up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)