• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

small classes losing periods... (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I go to a Government skool and i have been informed that some of my classes are small so nxt year we will lose one or 2 periods...which means for me I lose:
1 period 4 italian (9 ppl in class)
1 Period 4 French + combinding with begginers (6 ppl in class)
2 periods 4 IPT (5 pplz in class) Will this be a disadvantage to me? What happens in these periods?

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
are you serious.. I never heard of this.. I had soem of my classes with 6-8 ppl and that never happened :confused:

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
It's called running a Pro Rata class where the theory behind it goes you can teach 5-6 people the same content in less time or with less hickups it would take to teach 13-30. It should also enable the teacher to be able to tell more easily what you are having problems with as they do not need to monitor many students and tailoring the delivery to suit the level everyone is at.

Unless the other people in your class are extremely disruptive or dim you won't have too many problems and the more personalised delivery may or may not help you depending on how you like small group situations.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
the same thing has happened at my school.. my eco class lost like 4-5 people so we lose that many periods. i think its crap, cause if we still had the periods then we would more more quickly and then have loads of time for revision.

7th Sign

HSC
you deffiantly will be loosing out in ipt.....
our teacher is aiming for every one in the class to get 25% above state average
she makes up come for 3 extra periods a week aswell and the quality for out multimedia projects has to be soo high its friking crazy.....and theirs alot of theory in ipt so by loosing 2 periods i think your screwd.....also our ipt class has 14 people if that mean any thing....

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Back in the day (lol), quite a few of the classes at my school were too small, but the teachers decided to run them at the full 6 (or however many) periods a week anyway.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I had that happen in our ees class in year 12. We actually found it helpful cause we could start working on our own and at our own pace and it gave us a free lesson each week for revision purposes.
Plus its a good time to see the teachers about problems that u are having.

*sarah*

HSC
Yeah we lost a period a week for our language classes in yr 11 and 12. We had to go in after school once a week in yr 11 and then in yr 12 we went twice - once b4 school, once after. Id say its definately a dissadvantage if you dont have catch up lessons like we did tho it depends on the subject i guess

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Yup! Same with me this year - My Music 2 class (had three people) and my Music Ext (had 2 people) and we were cut to 2 and a half lessons per week.

As long as you make sure you do the work, as plenty of questions and cover the syllabus and make sure you do outside school, then you should be okay. Just have a lot of communication with your teacher.

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
it's so stupid

the same thing is happening at my school (a government school)
next year when they do the new timetable we lose 1 period of legal studies coz there's nine in the class(not so much of a disadvantage to me coz I'm No.1) and for maths 2 unit we are going to lose one as well co thers 7 people in it (all girls too). :mad:

luv elissa

alien

HSC
we lost face to face periods in geo in year 11, but for year 12 they got an extra teacher in so we could have all face to face lessons. and that was at our government school too! with only 6 students in the class!

asscookie

dork.
HSC
Favourite: Ancient History (the teacher at my previous school is an archaeologist, so it was slightly more interesting).

Least favourite: English (standard). Althought it's better because it doesn't take up so much out of school time as advanced English does.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
asscookie said:
Favourite: Ancient History (the teacher at my previous school is an archaeologist, so it was slightly more interesting).

Least favourite: English (standard). Althought it's better because it doesn't take up so much out of school time as advanced English does.
think u got the wrong thread matey :)

Krangelus

i am a tiger
HSC
N/A
one time my teacher turned up so late he said we can go to lunch early. The next day he gave us a cake as an apology. It was great!

mishka

HSC
N/A
i had the same situation for spanish and society and culture in year 12. we only had 4 people in Spanish, so we had a double taken off us. our teacher would assign us work to do in our free periods. you usually just go to the library and do work for that subject, but if i hadn't done maths homework or english stuff i used to do it then!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)