• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Spiceing up a speach? (1 Viewer)

Smavie

Under Achiever
HSC
I've just finished writing my speach which i have to present on monday. It's eight minutes long. Snore x43.
Anyway, i was wondering if anyone out there has any ticks to keep the class from slipping into a coma of boredom.
I was thinking of putting a bit of humor in there but i'm kinda scared that the marker won't take me seriously
and mark me down. Any ideas?

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Rhetorical Questions?
Slight Humour that relates to what your talking.
don't talk in one tone ... speak with enthusiasm... a power point pressentation would be cool. hahah
Humour half way throughout the speech would be effective... keeps teh audeience awake.
and yeah ... that's all i got suggested for u. lol

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
darling, you'll never be marked down for using humour in a speech - as long as it's appropriate (ie, it relates to your topic somehow). you need to keep relating what you're saying back to your audience: nothing grabs a person's attention so much as the word 'you', so insert that word in as much as possible!! i always try to think of something different to start my speeches with - even if it's only an interesting quote, or a rhetorical question. just begin it in a way that's different to what most other people are doing - you've got to catch people's attention at the start or you'll never get them.

oh, and dont forget to move. use hand gestures, use different inflections in your voice, move around a bit - unless of course you're behind a podium, in which case stay put!!! good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)