• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Subject Selection question (1 Viewer)

mtsmahia

HSC
I Have a question regarding the Subject selection for Year 11

First of all these are the subjects I have chosen:

Maths Ext 1
Phyiscs
Chemistry
Business Studies
Economics
Advanced English

Hence 13 units

Now my question-

since my total units is 13, how will the uai be calculated---since the best 10 are counted , then doesn't that mean that my Ext1 for maths wont be counted for UAI calculation (Since maths totals up to 3) . In other words I will be doing Ext 1 maths ---but at the end of the day only two units of maths will be used for UAI calculation (since the three maths units are in conjunction) .

So basically I will be doing Ext 1 Maths for no reason....

So it kind of means that I will be doing EXt 1 maths---whether I do good or bad it wont be counted----so theres no point!

This is what a friend has told me so I am not convinced myself--that is why I am asking the BS community...
Can anyone please shed some light on this please?

Thanks

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, I'm an '10er too, so my knowledge of this isn't great.

Are you taking extension 2 in year 12? Because year 11 does not count towards your UAI.

If you're taking extension 1 but not extension 2 next year, it is counted on your best ten units; if a one-unit subject (e.g: extension math 1) is in that ten units, then the last two units would be halved (so 8 x 2units + 1 unit + half of a 2unit)

That's what seems logical, but I'm not too sure...let's hope that some year 11/12 will lurk around here and answer your question :)

HSC
your best 10 are counted..

so why cant ext1 maths be counted? well it can..and
if it is counted..then one of your two unit subjects are counted as one unit
and hence given mark out of 50 making it your 10th unit..

Last edited:

suzlee

HSC
I'm not 100% clear on this either... I don't understand how it all works in full but:
1 unit = 50 marks
So in total, 500 marks will be counted to produce your UAI after your HSC

How exactly do they take out the "best 10 units" if you do an extension? :(

suzlee

HSC
Oh, so say these were your subjects:

MX1
Eng adv
Chem
Physics
Business

which is 11 units, and you achieved the lowest mark in Physics... say 50/100
Then do they half that to give you 25/50 and add it to your "best ten units"?

:S:S

HSC
suzlee said:
Oh, so say these were your subjects:

MX1
Eng adv
Chem
Physics
Business

which is 11 units, and you achieved the lowest mark in Physics... say 50/100
Then do they half that to give you 25/50 and add it to your "best ten units"?

:S:S

in principle, something like that..they might use a formula to find out the mark out of 50 from the 2unit course..or they might just halve it..not sure..

go read my poem

suzlee

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
in principle, something like that..they might use a formula to find out the mark out of 50 from the 2unit course..or they might just halve it..not sure..

Okies

rolror88

HSC
N/A
But because each unit is counted as 50 marks, then a 2 unit course is made up of 100 marks, and a Ext. unit course of 50 marks.. So if you got 48/50 for the ext course, and 88/100 for the 2 unit (made up of 44 + 44), then it'd be 44 + 48 (as the ext. course is done better). A total of 92 out of 100.

But that's using your example and assuming your other 8 units do better then maths.. So the ext. unit is counted if you do well in it.. Don't know if I made sense lol.

EDIT: This thread should answer your question:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=180523

mtsmahia

HSC
rolror88 said:
But because each unit is counted as 50 marks, then a 2 unit course is made up of 100 marks, and a Ext. unit course of 50 marks.. So if you got 48/50 for the ext course, and 88/100 for the 2 unit (made up of 44 + 44), then it'd be 44 + 48 (as the ext. course is done better). A total of 92 out of 100.

But that's using your example and assuming your other 8 units do better then maths.. So the ext. unit is counted if you do well in it.. Don't know if I made sense lol.

EDIT: This thread should answer your question:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=180523
so basically---if I do better in My EXT1 MAths than something else than it will be counted along with the 2units maths

HSC
mtsmahia said:
so basically---if I do better in My EXT1 MAths than something else than it will be counted along with the 2units maths

okay. if we assume you do ext1 maths in year 12 and ext1 and advanced maths give you a mark that allows it to be in your top ten units, then yes

if you do well in ext1 maths but no so well in advanced such that ext1 maths is one of your top ten but adv. isnt, then only ext1 maths will be counted..

the mark of the last unit will be calculated accordingly to one unit if it needs be.

mtsmahia

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
okay. if we assume you do ext1 maths in year 12 and ext1 and advanced maths give you a mark that allows it to be in your top ten units, then yes

if you do well in ext1 maths but no so well in advanced such that ext1 maths is one of your top ten but adv. isnt, then only ext1 maths will be counted..

the mark of the last unit will be calculated accordingly to one unit if it needs be.
Thats Great!!! But are you 100% sure? Lol

nrs1990

HSC
It's what everyone's said before: You're best 10 units count (though that has to include at least two units of English). If that includes a 1 unit subject, then they count only one unit of a two unit subject. And you can count an extension unit without counting the two unit. So it is worthwhile for you to do Extension 1 Maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)