• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Subject selections (1 Viewer)

H

Hussain1995

Im currently in year 10 and i have nearly reached the concluding stage of subject selections. I have chosen the following:
- Maths advanced +x1
- english advanced
- biology
- physics
- ancient history
- SLR (which im dropping for the HSC)
Now im looking to get into medicine or something in health so i know whats expected but i haven't chosen chemistry which is a problem. I couldn't choose chemistry because it was on at the same time as ancient history so i chose history because I like it more and i had to choose a subject out of another 'line' and i chose biology because it was the most appealing.
I just need u guys to tell me, if these subjects scale well and if the chemistry scenario even matters and also any tips or anything else i should consider.
Thanks.

enoilgam

HSC
All your subjects scale well except SLR - but you shouldnt really be worried about scaling. As for chemistry and medicine, most universities recommend you do it in High school, but it is not assumed knowledge. So basically, whilst it will give you an advantage when doing the degree its not a necessity.

Mr_Sunlight

HSC
N/A
Year 11 Subjects selections, any advice?:
-English Adv.
-English Ext
-Math Adv
-Math Ext 1
-Japanese
-Biology
-Physics
And HSC
-English Adv.
-English Ext
-English Ext 2
-Math Adv
-Math Ext 1
-Math Ext 2
-Japanese
-Japanese Ext
-Physics

HSC
Uni Grad
Year 11 Subjects selections, any advice?:
-English Adv.
-English Ext
-Math Adv
-Math Ext 1
-Japanese
-Biology
-Physics
And HSC
-English Adv.
-English Ext
-English Ext 2
-Math Adv
-Math Ext 1
-Math Ext 2
-Japanese
-Japanese Ext
-Physics
No Chemistry? No Economics? No rice for you.

tambam

HSC
All your subjects scale well except SLR - but you shouldnt really be worried about scaling. As for chemistry and medicine, most universities recommend you do it in High school, but it is not assumed knowledge. So basically, whilst it will give you an advantage when doing the degree its not a necessity.
This is the attitude i had at the end of yr10 when picking my subjects.
But if you want to do med, meaning you're aiming for really really high atar, i think it becomes more relevant than people make it out to be.

And yeah, you can just do bridging courses at the beginning of uni.
But i've heard biology is the most irrelevant cos they reteach everything in first year uni

enoilgam

HSC
This is the attitude i had at the end of yr10 when picking my subjects.
But if you want to do med, meaning you're aiming for really really high atar, i think it becomes more relevant than people make it out to be.
True, but you should pick what you like and what your good as opposed to picking a subject based solely on scaling. Obviously though if your aim is 99+, then you need to ensure that at least some of your subjects scale decent.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Asian 5 in year 11.
3u maths 3u english phys chem eco.
Year 12 drop to advanced english and take 4 u maffs and drop one of the other three. You can easily get 99+ if you get band 6s in all those subjects. And med is competitive. A high atar alone is not sufficient.

enoilgam

HSC
Asian 5 in year 11.
3u maths 3u english phys chem eco.
Year 12 drop to advanced english and take 4 u maffs and drop one of the other three. You can easily get 99+ if you get band 6s in all those subjects. And med is competitive. A high atar alone is not sufficient.
No point picking an "asian 5" if your not good in those subjects.

HSC
I'm in year 10 as well and pretty much everyones just do me do what you enjoy and what you are good at. No point in picking subjects that you don't like and aren't good at just because they scale well because they'll only drag down your ATAR. If you want to do Ancient do it, don't give up something you enjoy so that you can do something that might help in uni but don't particularly enjoy. As Tambam mentioned you could always do a bridging course. Good luck choosing :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)