• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Succeeding in English? (2 Viewers)

nottellingu

HSC
I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to practice for english. My teacher doesnt give us any homework and i do not go to a tutor. All the textbooks availible seem like a wate of time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

HSC
Do lots and lots of comprehensions and past papers. And practice creative writing. It's fun! *cough*

hurikai

boredofposting
HSC
I don't know about textbooks, but before I start reading a book or watching a movie, I always go through a million study guides at the local library, and read about stuff on the net. That way, when I view the text, my understanding of it is coloured by the 'dominant' reading.

In terms of setting yourself homework, you could write down important quotes, a list of themes and ideas, and a plot summary if it's confusing - if you can be bothered.

It helps to be interested in english in itself, because you can add a lot of meaning to your life. A lot of the time when I'm not doing anything I find my mind wandering over things I noticed, in a movie for example, and trying to figure out what they mean and why they're there.

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
Read your texts through twice or more if you're keen.
=)
Also, do lots of practice. Ask for random essay questions from your teacher. You'll soon find that with practice you'll work out what to do.
Good luck.
Oh and by the way....
who here knows what ftw mean?
I have noooo clue.

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
Ohh...that makes sense.
lol
I was coming up with all sorts of crazy things...
:p

el gwapo

HSC
Well for one, you're gonna need to actually read set texts you're given; I know a lot of people who don't and well... they suffer come exam time. One's ability to derive quotes from set texts and other texts to support an argument is important in English, whilst you can blabber a lot in an English essay much more so than in Modern History, Business or wherever, it still requires some valid thoughts of your own backed up with references to the texts. I learned that the hard way in my Year 11 half-yearlies.

From my own experiences, I don't like using textbooks, but what is helpful are past papers. Works a treat

nottellingu

HSC
Thanks for the advice guys, btw does anyone know how much harder does yr 12 english gets in comparison to yr 11?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)