• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Sydney Law Careers Fair (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Just a notification that the Sydney Law Careers Fair is on May 6th.

SLCF webpage.

rumour says that Laz is gonna be there ;)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Soma said:
Will there be hot law girls with tortoise-shell glasses?
definitely dude... law chix are pretty good (i think)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
can I come even though I am in yr 12??? Lol they will probably kick me out!
ummmm... i know you're overenthusiastic dear (and its a good thing) but... i think it won't benefit you that much except knowing more earlier... :p

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Would it be possible to fein being a law student, then walk up to fellow USYD law chums and toddle off to another lecture?

Basically, mooch in on USYD law, hoping that no lecturers take the socially difficult steps to ask me what the hell I'm doing...

L

LaraB

way i undertsand it, careers fairs aren't really all that useful to school people, alhtough you may find it interetsing, coz by the time you grad from law...which is 6 yrs ish? well..things will have changed heaps by then so i woudltn stress too much now:)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
LaraB said:
way i undertsand it, careers fairs aren't really all that useful to school people, alhtough you may find it interetsing, coz by the time you grad from law...which is 6 yrs ish? well..things will have changed heaps by then so i woudltn stress too much now:)
I guess its the same as the open days...I have been to so many and they try and sell the law to you...they dont realise all I care about is getting in I dont care where and I am already sold on studying law :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
I am already sold on studying law :)
the question is then: why?

awwww how cute:

Gadens Lawyers

Who ’ ll be there?

Some lawyers and former clerks. They’ll be easy to pick as they’ll be wearing “Property of Gadens” t-shirts and we’re trying to get Tim the senior associate to dress up as a clown. They will not be making any presentations or giving talks, as they will be way too busy looking deeply into your eyes while telling you, and only you, how much they love Gadens. Not to mention the party games and the raffle!

What will they bring with them?

We will be handing out party bags, not show bags! They’ll at least include Redskins and a party popper. But you have to come into the playground and talk to our kids if you want to learn all about Gadens – we simply refuse to write it down. And, of course, we’re running our highly popular raffle to give away one summer clerk interview each hour.

What are they looking for?

A Gadens lawyer must have the following qualities: An interest in developing both expert legal and commercial skills and a personality that doesn’t scare small children, and the desire to make a difference.

How many recruits do they want?

We want six summer clerks, but we’d like different clerks to last year, because they’ve already done it once and anyway they’ve all disappeared overseas now and we have no idea when they’re coming back.

Last edited:
L

LaraB

melsc said:
I guess its the same as the open days...I have been to so many and they try and sell the law to you...they dont realise all I care about is getting in I dont care
where and I am already sold on studying law :)
yeahi was the same and a lot of the open days were no use to me..

i wont name names coz ppl will get shitty..but certain unis were like "yeah well ur from Baulko, yous hould do law and commerce or law n eco"
n i said...well...i dont like eco type stuff and like more the business aspects rather than commerce as such

they said well our grad rates are blah blah blah our uni wins this that and the other

but then other unis, including UWS which is where im at now, actually explained stuff liek course structures, kinda word you do, job opportunities, rather than just saying "you're smart you shoudl come here"

Frigid - well, if mel's decided she wants to law, obviously she has a reason:)

i was the same - i wanted to do law, coz thats the kinda career i wanna head into and its the kinda stuff that im good at and it interesting... i didnt really care where i went

yeah i love uws and it was by far my 1st choice, i wouldnt have died if i went to unsw or anythin.... long as i was doing business/law i woulda been happy...might notn have liked it as much as uws's course and people and stuff, but i wouldnt have done any other course:)

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
Coming from uni?

Free buses will be running to and from Darling Harbour for the following universities: Wollongong, Newcastle & Macquarie and UNSW. To secure a seat on the buses, students will need to register with their Law Students’ Society.

A bus schedule will be posted on this site on Monday 2 May.

As there are no classes on a Friday at the University of Sydney, no special services will be provided. UTS students will be able to walk!
lol we have to walk! :D

Edit: a free bus ride to wollongong does sound tempting :)

Last edited:

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
LaraB said:
when i went to the careers fairs, i had no idea i would be doing a law course
i was a science guy then- didnt really like lawyers

so i once popped into the unsw law building, asked a few questions...... it was interesting, but i wasnt sold onto it.

a lawyer came to our school to talk about it. she told us how she liked working with kids and all... awwwwwwwwwww how cute!! but i was still a science guy.

and now look at me!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
mr EaZy said:
awwwwwwwwwww how cute!! but i was still a science guy.

and now look at me!
yes dear, you're a turncoat with a capital T.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i just want that uai to get into law so badly. i'm afraid of failing to get there.

L

LaraB

wrong_turn said:
i just want that uai to get into law so badly. i'm afraid of failing to get there.
and what UAI is that?

coz yeah, sydney's 99.6

but unsw went down last yr

mac's anywher frmohigh to low 90's if i remember

uws i think all were 90.

anu is low 90's i think?

canberra uni, une etc are very low given location and therefiore lack of demand etc...

so i mean, u dont need 99.6 to do law:p
and frmo my experience at least, i got high enough marks for every uni but usyd n unsw, and even tho uts is seen as more prestigious n whatever same wit anu, i still had uws as 1st choice n went there n am really happy:) so you dont need 2 kill th ehsc 2 do law and be good at it and enjoy it:)

keep in mind too, you can always transfer into law id you do well semester 1 at most unis, or apply thru uac again

or you can do a diploma of law and still practice law:)

so hsc and uai ain't the be all and end all:)

santaslayer

HSC
LaraB said:
and what UAI is that?

coz yeah, sydney's 99.6

but unsw went down last yr

mac's anywher frmohigh to low 90's if i remember

uws i think all were 90.

anu is low 90's i think?

canberra uni, une etc are very low given location and therefiore lack of demand etc...

so i mean, u dont need 99.6 to do law:p
and frmo my experience at least, i got high enough marks for every uni but usyd n unsw, and even tho uts is seen as more prestigious n whatever same wit anu, i still had uws as 1st choice n went there n am really happy:) so you dont need 2 kill th ehsc 2 do law and be good at it and enjoy it:)

keep in mind too, you can always transfer into law id you do well semester 1 at most unis, or apply thru uac again

or you can do a diploma of law and still practice law:)

so hsc and uai ain't the be all and end all:)
ANU is mid 90's whilst UoW is low 90's

santaslayer

HSC
Go do the course @ Legal Practicioners Admission Board. You still need at least a 66 UAI I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)