• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Sydney Motor Show 2006 (1 Viewer)

lengy

HSC
Who's going next week? Starts Thursday, October 26 til Sunday I think.

lengy

HSC
Went yesterday. The ladies at the Mitsubishi stand were definately the hottest, especially the tall long haired brunette. I got like 1 minute 3 seconds on the GT4 Evo Rally game beating the challenging car. I'm so awesome I got acknowledged from the guy operating the game. Loved the Toyota Aurion Sports Concept, but didn't get to play the Toyota F1 game. Sat in a few sports cars and of course the Aurion which I really wanted. Best car of the day would have to be the Audi R8. The Citroen C4 is a car I want but I'll settle for the Toyota Yaris YRX sedan. :eek:

lengy

HSC
The Ferraris were okay, not a fan of the 599 GTB styling so I sort of just ignored the entire stand only going back to check on other Ferrari. Oh and my best time for the GT4 game was my second attempt, cause I left it and came back an hour later and couldn't get a better time than that one awesome attempt. I like the HSV GTS and Holden Calais, ignored the Saab stand and teh Ssang Yong stand as well as Hyundai stands, not a fan of Volkswagon and saddened that Porsche didn't have room to fit any of their cars in. I wanted to check out the new 911 and Cayman. Went through Subaru but didn't check out their STi but snickered at how aweful their new SUV looks. Checked out the 3 series coupe and ignored the rest of BMW. I wanted to sit in the S-Class but didn't have a chance and they didn't have an SLR which I was greatly disappointed at. The facelifted Fords looked odd, I wanted to sit in an XR but all the fat punters and bogans were in them. I couldn't find a digital camera and really wanted to take photos especially with the ladies at Mitsubishi. I think the best cars to sit in were the Aurion and the 350Z. The Evo was uninspiring to sit in but the C4 seemed really roomy and modern, very sleek design. I collected a number of showbags and posters but I plan only to the the E-Class poster up, the SS was side on and rather boring. I would've hoped for an Aurion poster but no.

Zozo6969

HSC
went motor show on sunday. cannot believe the amount of crap cars that are going around in australia at the moment. deadset, two thirds of the manufacturers had shit boring cars. saab, suzuki, citroen (shitroen), hyundai, volvo, ssang yong, kia, and even the big guns like toyota, honda, ford had some piss weak cars out there. and for those fricken manufacturers behind the bloody ropes, eg bentley, maser, ferrari, lotus, beemer, you had the shittest stands of all. the only decent car that was there was the bloody tru blu aussie ve commodore.

Jiga

the only decent car that was there was the bloody tru blu aussie ve commodore.
Lol. Funny thing is the Toyota Aurion for example has more local content than the tru U.S / Korean Commodore :bomb:

Zozo6969

HSC
But holden is the only aussie car maker that was purely 100% aussie.....................b4 it was bought by gm

lengy

HSC
Barina - Korean
Viva - Korean
Astra - European
Vectra - European
Commodore - Australian
Captiva - Korean

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
lengy said:
Barina - Korean
Viva - Korean
Astra - European
Vectra - European
Commodore - Australian
Captiva - Korean
or more precisely
astra/vectra - designed in belgium, made in spain
=D

7th Sign

HSC
if they ever get some good cars I might make an appearance,

Jiga

Barina - Korean
Viva - Korean
Astra - European
Vectra - European
Commodore - Australian
Captiva - Korean
Lol, Holden.... an expensive Daewoo :wave:

But the Commodore as well, Im prity sure alot of its parts are sourced from Korea and the U.S....I read somewhere the Toyota Aurion has more Aussies parts then it!

Zozo6969

HSC
Commodore was aussie engineered and designed but. aussie ideas are in it, justa few parts underneath might not be.
BTW, the V8s are still bloody pushrod (OHV). Why holden, why. bloody american engines still living in the 70s.

Jiga

^

Yeah cant believe HSV's have pushrods still..... companies like Toyota have had DOHC's for 15+ years!! If they went for a more technologically advanced engine they would be able to get ALOT more out of these massive V8's.

As for Aussie design etc, well the Commodore is the only one virtually, but Im prity sure alot of cars have Aussie design etc, for eg Australia had some input into the Aurion and have had a large say in the TRD Aurion (Which is only going to be sold in Aus once it comes out)

Last edited by a moderator:

bizadfar

HSC
lengy said:
Went yesterday. The ladies at the Mitsubishi stand were definately the hottest, especially the tall long haired brunette. I got like 1 minute 3 seconds on the GT4 Evo Rally game beating the challenging car. I'm so awesome I got acknowledged from the guy operating the game. Loved the Toyota Aurion Sports Concept, but didn't get to play the Toyota F1 game. Sat in a few sports cars and of course the Aurion which I really wanted. Best car of the day would have to be the Audi R8. The Citroen C4 is a car I want but I'll settle for the Toyota Yaris YRX sedan. :eek:
Apparently my friend played the Toyota F1 sim. He said he got top time in it. I'm not surprised as his a pretty quick Simracer and has a Bike (CBR600 i think with metals used in aero construction - super light+strong) that he races/does laps around Oran frequently.

Valeu

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
^

Yeah cant believe HSV's have pushrods still..... companies like Toyota have had DOHC's for 15+ years!! If they went for a more technologically advanced engine they would be able to get ALOT more out of these massive V8's.

As for Aussie design etc, well the Commodore is the only one virtually, but Im prity sure alot of cars have Aussie design etc, for eg Australia had some input into the Aurion and have had a large say in the TRD Aurion (Which is only going to be sold in Aus once it comes out)
There are advantages in pushrods. More compact design, no ohc so lower center of gravity, costs less, pushrods tends to deliver more low-down torque. I think the honda jazz even has pushrods. Look at ford's boss V8. It is an ohc design, but has a crappily undersquare bore/stroke ratio, and can't rev high enough to take advantage of it's better breathing capabilities. Plus the ohc makes the V8 sit up high, giving the car crappy cornering balance. I think you'll find the power gains from an ohc head on the Chev V8s would not be as great as you'd imagine, and wouldn't justify the increased cost/complexity/size.

Even the pushrod LS1 could rev harder than the ford V8. So pushrods have a place, especially in large capacity engines. At the end of the day, we should judge engines by how they peform, not because of how they are constructed.

Spon888

HSC
They had a Toyota F1 Sim??? I would've gone if I knew about that one. I had a go in one of those in the Toyota Showroom in Japan, the bucket seats and F1 wheel make it very genuine and lots of fun. I played a PS2 version of an F1 game, does anyone know what game they played on the sim/which race venue?

Jiga

There are advantages in pushrods. More compact design, no ohc so lower center of gravity, costs less, pushrods tends to deliver more low-down torque. I think the honda jazz even has pushrods. Look at ford's boss V8. It is an ohc design, but has a crappily undersquare bore/stroke ratio, and can't rev high enough to take advantage of it's better breathing capabilities. Plus the ohc makes the V8 sit up high, giving the car crappy cornering balance. I think you'll find the power gains from an ohc head on the Chev V8s would not be as great as you'd imagine, and wouldn't justify the increased cost/complexity/size.
I dont take on the whole centre of gravity or cornering thing, overhead cams dont weigh that much in the scheme of things, the bulk of the weight is in the engine block itself... and this is just forgetting that most of the cars in the world with the best handling have overhead cams... just forget crappy Ford. The advantages of overhead cams in comparison to pushrod are well documented, namely way better fuel efficiency and more power, and you dont have to look far either.... personally I can compare my old arse 1993 V6 Camry which had DOHC and put out 140kw out of a 3L V6 against cars like the Holden Commodore with way bigger engines which until relatively recently only put out 150kw out of a bigger engine with pushrods.... or you can look at modern examples like the new Toyota Aurion with DOHC and dual VVti which out of a 3.5L engine put out 204kw while I dont know about the new SS but the previous ones with pushrod only put out 220kw with a MASSIVE 5.7L V8 engine. This is prity conclusive, 2.2L extra, which is SHYTELOADS, in something like the SS yet only 16 more kw... thats disgraceful... and Holden claim it does the 100 in 6.5, I think this is wishful, the Aurion does it in 6.5 with 300kg less weight - you'd need more than 16kw to make the difference! Having less valves, poor valve timing at high rpm, and the ability to use things like VVT being made virtually impossible are the major floors of pushrods.... and its the reasons why the top manufacturers stopped using them back in the early 90's.

So pushrods have a place, especially in large capacity engines. At the end of the day, we should judge engines by how they peform, not because of how they are constructed.
This is about the only thing I agree on... they do have a place in engines with large disaplacements... because these are the only engines you can get any power out of pushrod, and even then you are losing out big time compared to overhead cams.

And dont get me wrong, cars like the GTS with pushrod are nice and quick, but imagine what they could get out of their ridiculously large engines with a more technologically advanced engine.... because at the end of the day the only reason why they get heaps of power is because they have huge engines, meanwhile the better car manufacturers are putting out similar figures in power with substantially smaller engines.

Last edited by a moderator:

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Zozo6969 said:
went motor show on sunday. cannot believe the amount of crap cars that are going around in australia at the moment. deadset, two thirds of the manufacturers had shit boring cars. saab, suzuki, citroen (shitroen), hyundai, volvo, ssang yong, kia, and even the big guns like toyota, honda, ford had some piss weak cars out there. and for those fricken manufacturers behind the bloody ropes, eg bentley, maser, ferrari, lotus, beemer, you had the shittest stands of all. the only decent car that was there was the bloody tru blu aussie ve commodore.
i agree with you, except on the last line, cos the Aurion is alot better :p.

went on the last sunday, did the Evo challenge, and got 1:30 on my only run. jeez, seriously, couldnt they have invested in a steering wheel that actually has some feedback? if you tilt it slightly one way it drops like it has extra inbuilt weight on the top of it. and my mate had heard word that the evo X was going to be there, but to our disppointment we knew more about it than the guy that was actually there.

as for the ladies, there werent many, and the ones at Toyota looked like they didnt want to take photos with anyone else in their life by the time it was 3 o'clock.

benji's pimped proton looked pretty good, considering what it looks like as a stockie.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
yeah i wanted to go on that evo thing, but the line was too long. It would've taken me at least an hour by the looks of it.

Man the mercs were the best in my opinion, and the peugeot 607! So luxurious, i want one of them!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)