• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Textbooks for Phyisics, Chemistry (1 Viewer)

mtsmahia

HSC
Im year 10 but i was thinking of finding some books in the library and start doing some work from Physics and Chemistry right now (Since these subjects are detailed) .

I looked in the resource sections but i just want some recommandations form people on BOS on what textbooks i should borrow that starts the course of Y11.

Thanks,

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you wanna buy textbooks in Year 10, I'd start with Conquering Chemistry for Chem, and Jacaranda Physics for Phys. If you want more information, then I suppose go for another set of textbooks (Contexts for both) - but I honestly think that Conquering and Jacaranda Phys are more than enough. :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
mtsmahia said:
Im year 10 but i was thinking of finding some books in the library and start doing some work from Physics and Chemistry right now (Since these subjects are detailed) .

I looked in the resource sections but i just want some recommandations form people on BOS on what textbooks i should borrow that starts the course of Y11.

Thanks,
Um... I am not sure if I want to recommend this. You know what, I did the same thing as you are about to do during the last Christmas holiday. Learning all the Water Module in Chemistry didn't end up helping me that much in the long-run. I basically ended up wasting time.

What I really recommend you to do is to focus on your Year 10 subjects. Getting good marks in them are much better than getting a head start. That's because you won't be able to understand big chunk of concepts in the book without teachers' professional help. You will be able to get something out of it but it won't stick to your brain as well as it can with teachers. Only subjects that are good with head start are probably Mathematics and English.

However, if you still wish to get a head start on those subjects, I recommend Conquering Chemistry. This textbook outlines the concepts in the simplest way. (or it tries to)

For Physics, Jacaranda Physics seems like a way to go. I personally do not recommend you to use Excel books as they are poorly written. They are not very useful in the long run.

In conclusion, as I mentioned earlier I do not recommend accelerated learning. You will end up coming back to it once you go back to school next year.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Excel Physics is pretty good though. :)

Yamiyo

HSC
I recommend Conquering Chemistry (over Chemistry Contexts 2); its explanations of the main concepts are generally clear and it is much more detailed (if you don't mind sifting through a bit of info from time to time).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Yamiyo said:
I recommend Conquering Chemistry (over Chemistry Contexts 2); its explanations of the main concepts are generally clear and it is much more detailed (if you don't mind sifting through a bit of info from time to time).
I am not sure about the detail part. I agree that it is quite straightforward in the Conquering Chemistry but the details of which the texts accompany are quite dissapointing. I use both Conquering Chemistry and Chemistry Context 1. I reckon Chemistry Context is a better textbook (some people may disagree, it depends on individuals).

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Our school is using Spotlight chemistry, but I'm telling you now:

DON'T use it. Use Conquering Chemistry, it's way better than Spotlight. Spotlight makes so many idiotic mistakes. The only reason why Spotlight is heavier than Conquering is because of the irrelevant information and a whole bunch of elemental exercises. I find Conquering Chemistry exercises and examples much better.
There's a new Chemistry textbook by Jacaranda though. I haven't checked it out yet, so keep an eye out for it.

As for Physics, our school uses Jacaranda. It seems like an alright textbook. Better than Physics in Context, I reckon.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
minijumbuk said:
Our school is using Spotlight chemistry, but I'm telling you now:

DON'T use it. Use Conquering Chemistry, it's way better than Spotlight. Spotlight makes so many idiotic mistakes. The only reason why Spotlight is heavier than Conquering is because of the irrelevant information and a whole bunch of elemental exercises. I find Conquering Chemistry exercises and examples much better.
There's a new Chemistry textbook by Jacaranda though. I haven't checked it out yet, so keep an eye out for it.

As for Physics, our school uses Jacaranda. It seems like an alright textbook. Better than Physics in Context, I reckon.
I use that as well. I highly recommend them. I am not sure if it is better than Conquering Chemistry because the texts are harder to grasp but they are more detailed. They have got questions and good solutions for each. :)

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Charity F said:
I use Chem Contexts and Conquering Chem as my main reference textbooks.

For Phys, it's Jacaranda. I also suggest Physics Contexts.

For study guides, i recommend the Macquarie Study Guides for Chem and Phys. As an introductory/supplementary/quick revision text, they're pretty good.

I discourage the purchase of Excel, in any shape or form. Although the Physics one seems to be ok...

Also i highly recommend buying the Dotpoint books for Chem and Phys. And the multiple choice one as well.
Spot on. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)