• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The french lieutenant's woman and pomo (1 Viewer)

dilos

HSC
Hi everyone,
just wondering if anyone can help out with some information about "The french lieutenant's woman"...someone posted the pinkmonkey.com site, but that only analyses up to chapter 7...it really sucks.

If anyone has any ideas of great sites, or personal notes they can afford to share, can they please post here, it'd be great.

I hate doing pomo.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
As if hate pomo. I love it. 3 more terms, Wooohooo!!!

We're not starting French Lieutenants Woman til Term 2.

dilos

HSC
lol, ok pomo is interesting, i have to admit that...but given the fact that i have to read FLW over the holidays and have to find my own non-existant info is realllly realllly annoying....

Orlando is much easier.

what are you guys studying?

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
the storyline is pretty much irrelevant. focus on chapter 13 and the other authorial intrusions later on in the text, towards the end. you are looking at the way the text is constructed, the plot is definitely of lesser importance. also look at the adoption of the victorian style (pastiche OR parody), particular in contrast to the "modern" character of.. whatsherface.. the FLW. (forgotten her name already)

dilos

HSC
yeh thanks for the tip...you know i just wanted extra guideline as i read along, cos i haven't actually finished reading the book yet...i'm up to chapter 12..lol..they seriously have nothing on the net...poohie

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
could somebody please explain the ending to FLW. is it that there are two possible endings presented in chapter 60 and 61, even so, i still don't get what actually happens.

skittlebrau

Originally posted by arielbelle
could somebody please explain the ending to FLW. is it that there are two possible endings presented in chapter 60 and 61, even so, i still don't get what actually happens.
Yeah, at the end of the novel there's two 'possible endings'. One, a sickly sentimental ending in which Charles and Sarah are reunited, and the other in which Sarah has evolved a new identity and sees no future for Charles in her life.

It can also be argued that there is a third ending. It's about 2/3rds of the way through the novel, and Fowles immediately dismissed it as false, but basically, Charles imagines that he and Ernestina do marry. This ending is important as Fowles repeatedly asks how much the fiction we tell about our lives (eg: Sarah's lie about Varguennes) tells about us.

I probably haven't explained that too well, but if you can get your hands on Infocus from the State Library, they've got some really good points in them regarding FLW.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
hmm, FLW seems really popular this year..

we did Orlando, DWM, and Possession and i have notes for that if anyone wants help

check my signature

a8o

HSC
Damn, I didn't see 2004. Yeah, I agree the notes are crap. I've got one of those crappy York Notes cribs.

What I'm looking for is ESSAYS on FLW. I just wanna read what other people who've read other people's opinions are saying because I've got a bit of free time, but not enough to source out original criticism.

Criticism of Fowles, unlike Yeats, isn't well published on the internet.

Will search for your notes. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)