• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

the GOLD thread (2 Viewers)

S

Slide

A thread to discuss trends in commodity prices and investment.

herbs1

HSC
gold will get to 2400, then burst. u heard it here first

S

Slide

n another round of freefall, following last week's 11 per cent decline, international gold prices fell another $101 (Dh371) per ounce, or about 6.1 per cent, in early trade this morning. This was the yellow metal’s steepest one-day percentage drop in five years, and brought gold prices down by more than $383, or 20 per cent, from its all-time high of $1,920.30 made on September 6, 2011.

Spot gold was hovering at $1,536.82 per ounce at 10.55am UAE time, the first time the yellow metal traded below the $1,550/oz-mark in nine weeks.

Within less than a couple of hours, however, bargain-buying support pushed prices back above $1,600 per ounce and at 1.00pm UAE time, spot gold price was $1,622 per ounce, down just $15.70, or less than 1 per cent (0.96 per cent), over its previous close.

On Friday last week, spot prices declined by almost 6 per cent, or $102 (Dh375) per ounce. Spot gold price settled at $1,637.70 per ounce this Friday compared with a close of $1,812.10/oz last Friday (September 16), resulting in a weekly decline of 11 per cent for the bullion.

Interestingly, this latest rout makes this September gold's worst monthly performance in three years - in the same month that it posted its lifetime high.

A stronger US dollar is primarily the reason behind gold's recent weakness, as is the fact that, on Friday, the New York-based CME Group raised margin requirements for the third time in two months.

In an e-mail sent to traders after the close of trading on Friday, CME Group Inc. said it would raise the collateral requirements for trading in gold, copper and silver futures after a volatile week. Gold margins will be raised by 21 per cent, silver margins by 16 per cent, and copper margins by 18 per cent, effective at the close of trading today (Monday), the e-mail statement said. CME raised gold margins twice in August. Including the increases that take effect today, the margin increases since August 11 total 55 per cent.

“Gold came off as margin calls for other investments needed payments and gold was sold for this reason. Friday’s sell-off was much more a deployment of the all-out exit strategy and the technical environment has turned bearish for the precious metals,” Gerhard Schubert, Head of Precious Metals, Emirates NBD, said in comments sent to Emirates24|7.

Even as the metal recovered modestly to $1,656.10 per ounce in after-market trade, the decline today seems to have taken the 'safe haven' status away from the metal, albeit temporarily. 24ct gold is being retailed at Dh190 per gram in the UAE – the first time the metal is being retailed at that low a level in more than two months.

UAE jewellers reported brisk sales over the Friday/Saturday weekend in the country as gold prices looked attractive again and individuals rushed to cash-in on the lower prices, which some experts reckon are only temporary.

“Don’t despair. The price of gold will rally again as soon as the first wave of this liquidation has finished,” said Schubert, adding “I do firmly believe that gold will be able to recoup the losses in the wake of this outlook for the world.” It must be recalled that gold and other precious metals and commodities including oil began a freefall after the US Federal Reserve announced Operation Twist – a $400b plan to convert US’ short-term debt to longer-term debt.

“The Fed basically declared that the US economy is in much worse shape than anticipated and that is why they are keeping interest rates low for the foreseeable future. The World Bank, the IMF and lots of politicians have voiced their opinion last week,” said Schubert.

“Gold did lose a lot of ground but has actually performed better than all the other precious metals. The ratio to platinum has increased to about $45 in gold’s favour,” said Schubert. “The buyers will return and increased physical buying was already evident towards the close of last week [which saw the gold price recoup $18.40 in after-market trade],” he said.

“We continue to expect stronger than usual physical off-take during October. The run-up to Diwali (26th October), combined with lower prices, will only help stir up additional buying in the near term. We have to be sensible and wait for the waves of selling to subside, but we still expect these liquidations to be a rather short lived distraction, before the rally resumes,” he added.

The brief respite in ever-higher gold prices saw UAE customers rush to buy the metal, with bars and coins being the preferred investment options along with usual jewellery sales. “There has been a definite spike in footfalls as the rate dropped over the weekend,” said a sales executive of a large Dubai-based jewellery chain who did not wish to be named as he is not authorized to speak to the media.

“There has been a growing interest in gold bars and coins of late, and we sold out all our bars and coins sto9cked in the store over the weekend,” said the executive who mans the Mall of the Emirates outlet for the jewellery chain. 18ct gold declined to Dh145.50 per gm while 22ct gold is being retailed at Dh178.50 per gm this morning, according to rates supplied by the Dubai Gold & Jewellery Group.

Silver prices too have tumbled – and much more than gold – in the latest rout that has seen almost everything priced in US dollar (including oil) take a plunge as the greenback has gone from strength to strength over the past few weeks.

Silver prices declined by a whopping 36 per cent below their previous week’s close of $40.78 per ounce and closed the week ended Friday, September 23, 2011, at $30.05 per ounce – down almost 40 per cent from their all-time peak of $49.79 per ounce made on April 25 this year. Spot silver fell another $4, or 11 per cent, this morning and traded at a seven-month low of $26.05 per ounce at 11am UAE time today. This was silver's steepest daily plunge in nearly three years, analysts maintain.

However, in line with the recovery in gold prices, silver too recouped its day's losses and at 1pm UAE time, it was being traded at $29.47 per ounce, just $0.59, or less than 2 per cent, below its previous close.

“What y’all must not do is lose your head while everybody else is panicking,” advised Franklin Sandlers, a gold buff, in his much-followed online blog on gold and silver prices. “Don’t become confused, mistaking short term moves for long term changes. Nothing has changed. System is unaltered… [A]fter a correction, silver and gold will come roaring back,” he wrote.

“Be calm, hold your silver and gold positions – alertly watch for the opportunity to swap gold for silver and to buy more gold and silver at panic prices. Lift your eyes up to the horizon, look at the long term, not at the bumpy road right in front of your hood, otherwise you’ll run off the road into an oak tree,” he quipped.

herbs1

HSC
You do realise markets lead by bullish investors are the worst, yeah?

S

Slide

i say for the longer term take advantage of this margin call by buy buy buying.

The fundamentals are strong when people realise US dollars are worthless gold will resume its 10 year plus rally.

herbs1

HSC
i say for the longer term take advantage of this margin call by buy buy buying.

The fundamentals are strong when people realise US dollars are worthless.
wat, no they are not? Do you get how commodities operate?

S

Slide

explain.

i meant the fundamental reasons for gold's increase are strong.

THe US is not going to recover so it will remain a safe haven.

herbs1

HSC
firstly, they wont let it. They will margin it etc. Secondly, US economy will begin to rise, slowly, but surely. Finally, there's nothing to sustain its rise, only bullish investments.

S

Slide

The US economy will not rise.

Its still choked by its debt burden and currency that becomes ever increasingly worthless.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
USD has been pretty terrible since the gold standard was abandoned in 1933

Garygaz

HSC
you do realize that hedge funds are largely responsible for the gold price at the moment. european/american banks close to becoming centralized = very bad for hedge funds = bad for gold price.

S

Slide

developing countries such as india and china have far greater buying power for gold

plus there are many individual investors able to do so

dionb2014

HSC
Gold price is directly affected by the economic stability

" I believe in response to what you say about the US economy is that the worst is still to come and it will get a lot worse. If/When the shanghai stock exchange and the Hong kong market merge (or any other major particularly Asian markets) we will be back in 2002. The 1% interest rates in the US where the start of the end as investors had no reason to by t-bills. Yes Allan Greenspan had to do something to boost the post 9/11 and tech bubble climate but truly that was the kiss of death. Well when china merges and has a serious option of becoming the worlds economic center they will face the same issue of trying to overstimulate the market (they are sort of communist) and becoming top dog even if it means paying less attention to financial products that truly should be regulated (again they are sort of communist). personally I think that is where we are heading and when we think we are in the clear and china becomes confident enough to do something that drastic we will face a much worse economic crisis than we already have and the US could possible be brought down for good because to be honest I'm not confident that the government has learnt it's lesson even though those bastards screwed up big time 2002-2007 and really 1920's aswell. "
So according to this I personally believe that the gold price will rise dramatically into the next decade pushing 5000. Just a thought on what the economy is doing.
Just my take.

dionb2014

HSC

" I believe in response to what you say about the US economy is that the worst is still to come and it will get a lot worse. If/When the shanghai stock exchange and the Hong kong market merge (or any other major particularly Asian markets) we will be back in 2002. The 1% interest rates in the US where the start of the end as investors had no reason to by t-bills. Yes Allan Greenspan had to do something to boost the post 9/11 and tech bubble climate but truly that was the kiss of death. Well when china merges and has a serious option of becoming the worlds economic center they will face the same issue of trying to overstimulate the market (they are sort of communist) and becoming top dog even if it means paying less attention to financial products that truly should be regulated (again they are sort of communist). personally I think that is where we are heading and when we think we are in the clear and china becomes confident enough to do something that drastic we will face a much worse economic crisis than we already have and the US could possible be brought down for good because to be honest I'm not confident that the government has learnt it's lesson even though those bastards screwed up big time 2002-2007 and really 1920's aswell. "
So according to this I personally believe that the gold price will rise dramatically into the next decade pushing 5000. Just a thought on what the economy is doing.
Just my take.
You heard it <b>here</b> first

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

Just my take.
pushing 5000

Garygaz

HSC
i personally think due to the current economic climate we could see gold pushing

>9000

yr12 economics at its finest

Garygaz

HSC
just out of curiosity where did you pull the number of 5000 from?

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
ahahahahahaha pushing 5000 well personally I think the price of gold will rise to infinity everyone will be rich yes it would just keep rising in perpetuity!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)