• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The HSC moderation system is unfair? (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Is this fair? I'm confused.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Scenario:

Internally:

Person A did terrible with his internal ranks, ranked 5th out of 5 students in the same subject scoring 70.

Person B did awesome with his internal ranks, ranked 1st out of 5 in the same subject, scoring 90.

Externally:

Person A did insanely well externally by putting the hard yards in the end, scoring 97 in 4U Maths. This ranks him 1st against his cohort externally.

Person B bludged after the trials and still managed to score 90 in 4U Maths. This ranks him 3rd against his cohort externally.

In the end, Person B still scores a high result in that subject as Person A's result gets switched to his internal result by moderation, ending up with a 97 internally and keeping his 90 externally (even though he got pissed drunk and played dota 24/7). Comparatively, Person A keeps his external mark of 97, but regrets his internal result of 70, decreasing his overall 4U mark in the end when averaged.

How is the system 'fair' in the end? Person B took Person A's external result (added onto his internal). He manages to reap the benefits without effort in the end. If this is how it actually works, then the 50:50 ratio (internally:externally) is complete bs, since the internals are far more important from the beginning to the end.

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Another way to argue it is that both students stuffed up at some point and so got penalised for that stuff up but they also worked well at times and got rewarded for that work.

The system encourages consistent work over the entire year.

helper

HSC
N/A
Another way to look at it is the first person worked hard all year and slackened off at the end.
The other guy bludged all year and only put an effort in a the end.

Why should someone who only works well at the end benfit over someone who has worked consitently?

what you are really asking is why is there progressive assessment at all.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
No, it is fair; Board of Studies only does this so you don't slack off all year and just rock up to the Common Exams and ace that.

Last edited:

dp624

HSC
yeah i think it's pretty fair. consistent effort goes the mile =P

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Is this fair? I'm confused.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Scenario:

Internally:

Person A did terrible with his internal ranks, ranked 5th out of 5 students in the same subject scoring 70.

Person B did awesome with his internal ranks, ranked 1st out of 5 in the same subject, scoring 90.

Externally:

Person A did insanely well externally by putting the hard yards in the end, scoring 97 in 4U Maths. This ranks him 1st against his cohort externally.

Person B bludged after the trials and still managed to score 90 in 4U Maths. This ranks him 3rd against his cohort externally.

In the end, Person B still scores a high result in that subject as Person A's result gets switched to his internal result by moderation, ending up with a 97 internally and keeping his 90 externally (even though he got pissed drunk and played dota 24/7). Comparatively, Person A keeps his external mark of 97, but regrets his internal result of 70, decreasing his overall 4U mark in the end when averaged.

How is the system 'fair' in the end? Person B took Person A's external result (added onto his internal). He manages to reap the benefits without effort in the end. If this is how it actually works, then the 50:50 ratio (internally:externally) is complete bs, since the internals are far more important from the beginning to the end.
Your forgetting that moderation also changes the internal marks. Depending on how the other kids performed in their externals, Student A and B's internal marks would have been changed to ~90%+.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Trust me, if you're aiming D's/HD's in Uni, you'll want to work exactly like the way the HSC want you to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)