• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

the road not taken (1 Viewer)

ange2111

i am doing the poem 'the road not taken' as my peice of supplementry material from the stimulus booklet and i am having trouble interpreting what is learnt from this poem.
Also i can't get clear what message the writer is portraying???

:read:
if any one has any idea's i'd love it if you could help me out
cheers
ang xo

AGB

HSC
go to www.sparknotes.com and click on poetry (you also have to sign up but its free) then find the road not taken

it has a really good analysis of the poem there

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
I love this poem but i'm really anoyed it doesn't fit in with our topic cause we do physical journey.

I'm guessing you do inner journey?

anyway the road not taken - it focuses on the choice that the poet (we assume) has had to make in his life - which has greatly impacted him. He almost becomes obsessive other this desision - here are some of the notes i've deciphered and been given by my english teacher

-The poem is in 1st person and making it personal and emotoive. Shows the reader to feelings of confusion and foreboding that go with making a desision

-frost presents teh enormity of the desisino through the metaphor of the road and the fork - the indesision that he is feeling. The speed with which the desision is made and hte idea that he cant turn back through is created thruogh the constant pentametoer driving both the poets and the reader forward

- the poem links to a phrase from Matthews Gospel
Enter by the narrow gate, since the road that leads to destruction is wide adn spacious, and maby take it; but it is the narrow gate and hard road that leads to life and only a few take it (mtt 7-13:14)

-the poem is a recount of a spiritual journey that the poet has been on

- the main character of the journey can be seen as anyone of us as it can refer to everybodies life choices - purposly generalisised

Hope that Helps :)

AGB

HSC
im doing imaginative, and it isnt that hard to relate it to.....but just in response to your post, i think the poem is much deeper than that. although, i acknowledge that yours are only brief notes and u probably cant be bothered to type it all out, just like me :D

Last edited:

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
i think there are many meanings that you can get out of the text, so long as you can back it up with evidence and examples but yeah i cant be bothered writing up all of them. i guess the best thing is to find your own interpretation that you're happy with:D

AGB

HSC
i think this is slowly becoming my favourite poem.... if you arent really interested in poetry, read this one and you will be :)

Angela86

These are the issues my class came up with for the poem. We are doing imaginative journeys but looked at it from all angles.

Importance of choices/decision making
Notion of being individual
Courage to not conform/to be different
Need to be responsible for your own actions
Bravery too make your own choices
Life is a journey, cant do it all which results in lack of fulfillment in life
The imagination is limited as we can not imagine every possibility that our actions will cause to heppn

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by AGB
i think this is slowly becoming my favourite poem.... if you arent really interested in poetry, read this one and you will be :)
It is my favourite poem..i understood it the first time l read it..which is more to say for other poems.

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
Yeah too right andy, it fully grows on you. i hate english but this, my friends, is undoubtedly the best text from the stimulus, if you can justify its abduction into your AOS

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Ive got an extended response of it somewhere around here with the rest of the stimulus booklet.. try and find the thread theres one in here but theres also one in the English Adv forum which is much easier to find- i think its called Journeys stimulus booklet. i dont know how much help it will be but have a look.
good luck xoxo

Last edited:

meikeleigh

HSC
Omg. The sparknotes website is great! We were issued with copies of NoFear Shakespeare - Othello in the preliminary course and we frequently visited the site for summarys and information about the play. I had no idea that the website had information about poetry. The information they have about "The Road Not Taken" is great- real eye opener!

-meike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)