• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

those usb storage device thingys (2 Viewers)

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
hey y'all, well i bought this sandisk 256mb lil usb memory thingy today, n i was wondering if u can put msn messenger on to it and then insert into computers without msn installed and it will work? cause i copied the MSN Messenger directory to the USB device, then uninstalled msn (from the hard drive) and msn wouldnt work for me from the usb key. but i've read about ppl doing it before, so is there like some trick to it or something?
also, how durable are these things? like if i put it on my keyring, will the keys occasionally hitting against it make me lose data (if u know what i mean)?
also are there any other cool tricks 2 do with it apart from the MSN thing?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well it shouldnt lose data by just getting hit around. Mine has been through the washing machine and still works. Im not sure about the msn thing though. Because msn messenger would modify the registry right?

If you're after msn on the go, just use msn webmessenger, or if that is blocked there are countless other web messengers, e.g. msn2go.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
If you have MSN installed, copy the Program Files on to a folder in your flash disk. Run it in another computer and it should work fine. I don't see why it wouldn't - copying program files to another computer let's it run fine without being installed, so a flash disk should be no different.

sunny

meh.
HSC
MedNez said:
If you have MSN installed, copy the Program Files on to a folder in your flash disk. Run it in another computer and it should work fine. I don't see why it wouldn't - copying program files to another computer let's it run fine without being installed, so a flash disk should be no different.
That would be assuming the program is completely self contained...ie, no registry entries, no common libraries installed etc...

You can just give it a go, if it works, fantastic.

MedNez

HSC
N/A
sunny said:
That would be assuming the program is completely self contained...ie, no registry entries, no common libraries installed etc...
I'm pretty sure it would add something or other, but works fine copied from one computer of mine to the other (XP Install, copied to 2k). *Shrugs*.

Classic black box testing, Sunny :p Don't care how it works - just that the I/O works =)

Bone577

HSC
N/A
One cool thing that can be done with USB memory devices involves transfering PS2 save games and such across between comp and PS2. You would have to read up on how it is done though, as I have only heard it is possible through word of mouth. I know it is done with the MaxDrive for PS2 which is itself simply a USB storage device with some basic software.

MedNez

HSC
N/A
BreaKing said:
and msn wouldnt work for me from the usb key. but i've read about ppl doing it before, so is there like some trick to it or something?
What Operating system was it on originally, and what is it running off from the Flash Disk? Perhaps if you copied the files to the target system and run it off that (and just deleted it when you're done since it's still on the flash disk). I tested it from XP Home -> 2000, and it worked fine.

BreaKing said:
how durable are these things? like if i put it on my keyring, will the keys occasionally hitting against it make me lose data (if u know what i mean)?
They're pretty strong, you can throw them around (although not advised) and you're not going to break them. Just don't step on it or run over it with a car or something.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Sometimes tho if u r using a public computer or a computer @ skool u may need administrator permissions to install it on that computer (like my skool) so u may be better or using the web based one

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
MedNez said:
They're pretty strong, you can throw them around (although not advised) and you're not going to break them. Just don't step on it or run over it with a car or something.
nah i dont mean in terms of durability, i mean how much can they take before the data becomes corrupted or whatever?

MedNez

HSC
N/A
I used to keep mine in my top pocket / pants pocket before I got a larger 20gb drive, and I never had any data corruption issues.

don't think your keys will demagnetise the drive, if that's your concern, but the good brand drives are pretty sturdy / reliable and won't give you data corruption - as long as you don't store electomagnets on your keyring or something.

sunny

meh.
HSC
I've always kept my USB stick along with my keys as a keyring. Never had a problem.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
I bought a 128mb sandisk cruzer one for uni to xfer files between home and comp labs.

Used it about 2 times...

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
sunny said:
Yes....their big name USB sticks are the Cruzer series ones.
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice... i have a 256mb cruzer micro, its heaps cool, its so small and plus it lights up blue when u have it in the usb port

= Jennifer =

HSC
i bought one of those but i had to return it because it didnt fit my usb port i realised then that there are different sized ports arrrrrrrrgh

sunny

meh.
HSC
= Jennifer = said:
i bought one of those but i had to return it because it didnt fit my usb port i realised then that there are different sized ports arrrrrrrrgh
There is only one type of USB ports at the back of your computer.

MedNez

HSC
N/A
sunny said:
There is only one type of USB ports at the back of your computer.
Haha, yeah, I don't see how you could get a flash disk that didn't fit - unless it was chunky and wouldn't sit next to other cords or something, especially in some of those usb bays at the front of computers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)