• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

thoughts after open days at usyd/uts (1 Viewer)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
what did you guys think??

did it clarify your choices or feelings at all??

i must say i was REALLY surprised by both unis - thought i'd like usyd a lot more, but i really preferred uts. i just completely changed my uac preferences. i thought open days were supposed to help us, not confuse us!

anyway, im totally lost now. how about everyone else?

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
i thought you were pretty set on doing advanced arts? how come you prefer uts?

hmm, i'm not sure. after that i think i'm not as attached to usyd as i thought, and perhaps the uni doesn't matter as long as i'm doing a course that i like.
and er yea, i only went to talk to ppl about stuff i already wanted to do so it didn't change anything. i still haven't had time to think through which course i want to do more after finding out the info today though.

fatmuscle

HSC
did anyone come to our stall??

The only people we saw were:
Beaky, BlackJack, McLake

there were probably a few others but they were too shy to say their nickname, or pretended not to come to these forums.

I'll have some pics loaded up tonight.

We spammed everywhere!!!

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
you should've told us where you were! i didn't see anyone! i didn't even get a flyer! or see anyone with the t-shirt!

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
make sure u put a bigger poster when you go to UNSW :)

even i couldn't find the BOS stall. where was it ?

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by Toodulu
i thought you were pretty set on doing advanced arts? how come you prefer uts?

hmm, i'm not sure. after that i think i'm not as attached to usyd as i thought, and perhaps the uni doesn't matter as long as i'm doing a course that i like.
i completely agree with that last sentence. i only really just realised this today. i've been worrying myself sick about getting the uai for arts advanced (97.65) and today i just realised FUCK IT- i will go for one of the communications courses at uts. they can set you up with internships so career-wise you're set. and the uai's are much more achievable (like 93-96, etc).

i was really turned off by sydney. i found it sort of stuffy and pretentious. the uts lecturur/director i saw and spoke to was much more down to earth and very enthusiastic about the courses. and the communications courses allow really versatile choices of electives etc... even if i do something like social inquiry, i can still opt to do journalism electives for some 'practical' work and i still end up getting a BA Comm at the end of it, like everyone else.

anyway, im still sort of weighing up all my feelings after today. i'm really not sure about sydney any more. i dont know if it's the right place for me.

is a roflcopter
HSC
dont decide yet!
wait for unsw! :D

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
yea i know, the uts courses seem a lot more practical. this girl told me that at uts they teach you how to solve the problem whereas at other unis they teach the history/philosophy behind it.. well, not really, but that's wht she meant. and i told the usyd person and he kind of agreed except he says that usyd is a bit of both and that background info is important too. :p

i don't really mind a pretentious atmosphere, except i can see the appeal of uts. i definitely agree that the lecturers at uts seemed more down to earth and enthusiastic.
basically yea, i'm more focused on the course now.

although i did find out that at uts, i wouldn't be able to go on exchange to the uni i want. hmmmmmmm. not only that, she said, "if you want to go to a capital city, forget it"
ahahahah. uts is stepping all over my romantic ideas about uni with their practical courses. (both usyd and uni of tokyo :p )

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by fatmuscle
did anyone come to our stall??

The only people we saw were:
Beaky, BlackJack, McLake
you forgot me, bastard!
i have to say... a lot of the stuff i got today, i picked up at the careers expo at UNSW... but i went to the forensic science lecture... it cleared up a lot of stuff for me... i really wanna do it now
i think syd uni shouldve had the stuff spread out more! everything was in that white marquee, it was crowded as hell and i could barely breathe

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
i completely agree with that last sentence. i only really just realised this today. i've been worrying myself sick about getting the uai for arts advanced (97.65) and today i just realised FUCK IT- i will go for one of the communications courses at uts. they can set you up with internships so career-wise you're set. and the uai's are much more achievable (like 93-96, etc).

i was really turned off by sydney. i found it sort of stuffy and pretentious. the uts lecturur/director i saw and spoke to was much more down to earth and very enthusiastic about the courses. and the communications courses allow really versatile choices of electives etc... even if i do something like social inquiry, i can still opt to do journalism electives for some 'practical' work and i still end up getting a BA Comm at the end of it, like everyone else.

anyway, im still sort of weighing up all my feelings after today. i'm really not sure about sydney any more. i dont know if it's the right place for me.
i completely agreeeee

that usyd lecture sucked arse i reckon, i enjoyed the UTS one more. the lady there so had a thing for me

hk31

HSC
yea i did....was completely useless...

the arts talks @ usyd...were all crap...the lecturer tried to crack jokes cos he was losing our attention...

yea...i thought usyd was going to be mad too...but after today....uts seems more appealing....

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i liked usyd more than i did before. it's very green and very pretty!! however, i didn't get to go to any of the lectures

windows xp

After going to both open days, I think I will definitively cross any carrer offered by Sydney out of my preferences and consider more UTS and UNSW. I didn't like the "feeling" of Sydney, I like more the one of UTS. Moreover, the buildings of Sydney turned totally off. Well, I cannot say that UTSs buildings are the most beautiful of the world, however, as my father says, don't look at the exterior but to the heart. And you should really apply this principle whenever you are looking at UTS's buildings :D.

Some people would love to cover great distances to go from building to building and the old buildings of Sydney. I dont. Give me a break! I don't like the old buildings and to imagine that everyday I will have to walk a lot between building and building just disheartens me.

For the lectures, I couldn't go to any in UTS, but after seeing Sydneys, I don't think they cannot be worse. Sure, Sydney go prestige, but what for if you are going to sleep when they are speaking?

I admit I might be a little bit too injust with Sydney. That might be because I had such a great illusions about Sydney and when I got there, my enthusiatism sank as the Titanic; while for the UTS, I didn't had great hopes, I originally went to see the robots playing soccer nothing more.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i like sydney uni......even tho they ARE povvo....but thats only because all the money these days is being sent over to their new campus at orange

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by windows xp
I didn't like the "feeling" of Sydney,
hear hear!
i know sydney has a great rep and everything, but i dont get a good vibe there

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
windows xp i had EXACTLY the same problem as you i think. i really thought sydney would be great and as such i was completely disappointed and HATED it. and uts i wasn't even really considering as a REAL option- and now it makes up more than half my preferences. god, i really do not want to end up there. (at sydney)

nick/um..: how cool was the Comm. lady at uts??? she was so helpful!

edit-- I agree with all the comments about the "Feeling" of sydney.. god.. the feeling i got of it was totally stuffy and pretentious... i just wanted to get out of there

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)