• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Thoughts on recruitment (2 Viewers)

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
seremify007 said:
I agree with roadcone. It's fitting in with the culture of the firm which counts. So what if you are the top dog at doing mathematics in your head or you have some other skill which is highly valued- if you are an asshole to work with and piss everyone off around you by just being there; what good are you when it comes to working in teams? And you mustn't forget that in Big4, a lot of the job also involves interfacing with clients so communication ability as well as one's own ability to build rapport with a variety of people is important.
Yeh that is interesting...what I found was the difference between PwC and EY when I was going through cadetship interviews and acceptance was that PwC as you would imagine (having the biggest rep) was very straight and serious, I did not notice much enjoyment going around (from the moment I stepped in the door). However at EY the atmosphere was completely different, people were easy going, enjoying themselves, whilst still getting the work done (this suits me much more). Obviously I did not get an offer from PwC, and I did get one from EY.

This is just my view on the matter, completely unbiased.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL i wouldn't say that people don't enjoy themselves at PwC, but I agree that PwC is a lot more direct; they won't beat around the bush or sweet talk just to sound good.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Haha, hmm I should have read my contract more carefully :p. Regardless, I didn't really mean legal liability, more so that I'm screwed if what I did was wrong, if you get what I mean.

...and yeh I'm old :( :eek:

redruM said:
That is one of the things I asked a grad at an information evening. :D

He said that your senior will sign off at the end. Also, they have an exclusion clause exempting you (as a junior) from any liability, and I think the company from some liability.

edit: jasee, you are a class of '01...old fellow. ;)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha may I ask how long it is? Ours was a lot longer than I thought it would be- can't remember (and it's locked up somewhere in my house...)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
My contract? It was about 6 pages. Not too long I don't think, lol.

zxc098

HSC
N/A
who else went for EY's assessment center today (04 may)?

=)

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
That is all the people I keep seeing around...especially Level 32 today. Will it ever end? That must of had a few applicants.

zxc098

HSC
N/A
I thought the EY assessment center was excellent! Very friendly people.

turtleface

HSC
oh I just wanted to say that I didn't mean to take away from anyone's achievements with my comments. I know a lot of people work very hard in both academic and non academic facets to get into Big Four, and other firms. It just seems that people aren't always rewarded for their efforts though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)