• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Tips to get motivated! (1 Viewer)

lollyxb

HSC
Hello, I'm currently sitting in my school library wanting to complete some school work, but I cannot find any motivation to do so. I find myself staring at a blank word document every time I try to study.I DON'T WANT TO FAIL MY HSC! :(Does anyone know any tips to help me to complete my school work? Thanks heapssss, Lauren :)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Hello, I'm currently sitting in my school library wanting to complete some school work, but I cannot find any motivation to do so. I find myself staring at a blank word document every time I try to study.I DON'T WANT TO FAIL MY HSC! :(Does anyone know any tips to help me to complete my school work? Thanks heapssss, Lauren :)
I don't know how that already isn't sufficient motivation

enoilgam

HSC
Setting small achievable goals is the key to maintaining your motivation. If you set yourself a mountain of work, it will probably overwhelm you and chances are you arent going to be able to complete it, which will lower your confidence and crush your morale (i.e. loss of motivation). When this happens, people start avoiding study because they dont feel as if they are achieving anything

However, if you set small but achievable goals, then chances are you will complete them, thereby boosting your confidence. Also, by setting and achieving small goals, you can sustain your motivation for a long period of time which is extremely difficult to do during the HSC. Obviously, there are points during the year where your workload will be high - at those points, try stretching your work out and avoid cramming. Big goals like "I dont want to fail my HSC" or "I want X ATAR" are still important, but for most people, they arent effective at motivating you on a day to day basis - thats where managing your workload comes in.

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Setting small tasks is good. Like instead of do ALL my maths questions, have do 15, and then reward yourself when you do that. And then do the rest and reward yourself with a break.

Also breakdown your long term goals into smaller ones to get on track. Like getting X HSC mark in this subject or X ATAR mark might be a good long term goal. Break it into smaller ones, like I want to get 85%+ in this upcoming assessment task, I'm going to do that by; 1. Memorising these quotes 2. Doing a practice essay etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)