• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

To do a law based uni course?! (2 Viewers)

carmela300

HSC
Does anyone have any tips for if i'm considering a double degree with law in uni?

Is it interesting? How are the electives? Suggested Uni's? What to combine it with?

Anything would help! Thanks !

:hammer:

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
What you combine with is really something you need to decide on your own. Everyone has different interests and different degrees provide you with different skills and knowledge.

For example I really like Intellectual Property law and wished I did Science/Law or Engineering/Law just so that I could understand patents better. However, I am doing Commerce/Law which gives me some insight into trade mark law (branding) through marketing.

The best part of doing a law degree is doing electives and studying courses that interests you. The core subjects are really a mixed bag. Some of them you will find interesting and some you will find really boring.

carmela300

HSC
Thanks for that! Im considering combining it psychology or social science. But not sure yet...

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't do it.
This!

Bus/law or comm/law is where it's at... But at the end of the day; you can do whatever the FUCK you want to do!

You'll still probably end up working HR at the end of the day... You earn some pretty serious big bucks in HR... Probably a degree I would have done if I was smart enough, back in the day

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
neo: Dont do the science part?
The law part. Jobs are thin on the ground and work conditions are horrible. Psych is a problematic degree too because without a Masters qualification you can't practice. Entry to Masters is competitive, and without it, you've got a useless degree. It's harder and harder to get jobs in professional industries because professional associations are closing ranks to keep prices high for consumers. My suggestion would be to do a flexible degree like arts/commerce and take majors you enjoy. Once you've completed that and worked for a couple of years, you can re-evaluate law with more experience and more options.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
One thing that people also forget in terms of financials is that there's an opportunity cost of 2 - 2 1/2 years to study law, plus an additional whack of $10,000 on your HECS debt if you don't get a job with an employer who pays for your post-degree practical legal education. Law courses are the most expensive courses at university. Given the likely changes to HECS loan repayments, there's a real financial disincentive to studying law.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
You'll still probably end up working HR at the end of the day... You earn some pretty serious big bucks in HR... Probably a degree I would have done if I was smart enough, back in the day
High five for HR - definitely a growing industry with good prospects. The only negative is breaking into the industry, which is extremely difficult given its circular nature (i.e. 80% of entry level jobs require experience of some kind).

Isn't there an oversupply of lawyers?
Dont let that stop you because the truth is, it's hard to break into the majority of professions. The job market is a nightmare unless you know people or are just plain lucky.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
One thing that people also forget in terms of financials is that there's an opportunity cost of 2 - 2 1/2 years to study law, plus an additional whack of $10,000 on your HECS debt if you don't get a job with an employer who pays for your post-degree practical legal education. Law courses are the most expensive courses at university. Given the likely changes to HECS loan repayments, there's a real financial disincentive to studying law.
People forget this when it should be another major factor.

It isn't just the additional 20k of HECS fees (additional 2 full time yrs of study if you're deciding between straight comm and comm/law) but the fact you're foregoing 40-50k per yr in gross salary. By the time you've graduated this is 100-120k for an extra two years of study, if you see law as just a way to improve your job prospects i probably wouldn't recommend it as you can improve your competitiveness through additional internships/work experience placements.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
People forget this when it should be another major factor.

It isn't just the additional 20k of HECS fees (additional 2 full time yrs of study if you're deciding between straight comm and comm/law) but the fact you're foregoing 40-50k per yr in gross salary. By the time you've graduated this is 100-120k for an extra two years of study, if you see law as just a way to improve your job prospects i probably wouldn't recommend it as you can improve your competitiveness through additional internships/work experience placements.
Join the straight comm wagon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)