• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Transferring schools (1 Viewer)

doggogo8

HSC
I want to transfer from my public school to a selective school. Does anybody havvee an idea how i could have a better chance of entering?OR What certificates i have to get?
P.S: Does going to a selective school have a higher mark in the UAI?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I think you can enter at the start of year 7 to 11. But I doubt year 12.

Last edited:

furryfish

1337 h4x0r
HSC
if uve got any substantial awards. eg maths comp and school awards, theyll help u quite a bit. and its not guaranteed that you'll do better, it just gives you more incentive to work due to more competition

Lainee

HSC
What year are you intending to transfer into? Most selective schools only allow extra students at the beginning of Year 11. The criteria for entrance differs from school to school - usually your last 1-2 years of school reports are required and any other evidence of academic achievement or other recognition (debating, sports etc.).

Going to a selective schools doesn't give you any outright benefit - it's just a normal public school just with students that perform at a higher level. There are some good teachers, some crap; some schools with excellent resources (library, computers/photography equipment etc) and others that are falling apart; some schools with an excellent record of social involvement and others purely academically based... it all varies between one school to another and from one individual to the next.

doggogo8 said:
P.S: Does going to a selective school have a higher mark in the UAI?
You'll find that some of the best performing public schools in the state are selective schools. Some people say that this is just because they started off with extremely gifted students in the first place - so there's no real 'value-added' in six years (not any more than in normal schools). I'll use my school as example, last year Sydney Girls got 41% of its 160 students above 98.00 UAI and 81% above 90.00 UAI. Notice how this isn't 100%? You always have people who take the HSC year lightly, no matter what school you're in.

What I'm saying is that... just going to a selective school is a ticket to super-duper marks. :) But maybe studying with a bunch of very intelligent people can do you some good - as opposed to being the top of your local public school, and not getting any competition or being able to learn off people who are beating you in exams (study groups are dead useful when you're not the only hard working one whose sharing all your stuff :) ).

Last edited:

doggogo8

HSC
er...... i'm in yr 9 next yr though, i'm not yet in yr 12. so......don't know if i have a better chance or not?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)