• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

trouble choosing uni's (1 Viewer)

flip

HSC
N/A
hey
i just finished my hsc the year gone by and i'm still having trouble deciding between BCom at USyd or UNSW. from what i've been reading they seem to be very similar but i was wondering if i could get any feedback concerning the teaching quality and just general comparisons...pros/cons between the two unis. thanks a bunch

Affinity

HSC
I've heard reports that Usyd grads employment stats are slightly worse than that of UTS and UNSW.. but that isn't mcuh of a concern, firms hire ppl pretty evnely.

What each university teaches is more or less similar. BUt I don't think first year teaching quality is all that good here at UNSW... especially economics, where they promote rote learning under the excuse that they want you to familiarize yourself with terminology

I think the main concern will be of travelling.. typically (unless you live in the east) it will take you 2x extra bus trips of ~ 20 mins each every uni-day if you go to UNSW.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
In terms of employability, UTS and UNSW are at an advantage because of strong links with industry. If you had the marks, I reackon NewSouth is probably the place to go because the academic standard is higher and the graduates are very highly sought after. I was in exactly the same position as you and I chose NewSouth, even though I live closer to Sydney. Travel time is really the only downside of going to UNSW (but you get used to it). If you're thinking of combining with law, then have a closerlook at USyd, I'm told their law school is quite good.

miffytoki

HSC
mr_shittles said:
In terms of employability, UTS and UNSW are at an advantage because of strong links with industry. If you had the marks, I reackon NewSouth is probably the place to go because the academic standard is higher and the graduates are very highly sought after. I was in exactly the same position as you and I chose NewSouth, even though I live closer to Sydney. Travel time is really the only downside of going to UNSW (but you get used to it). If you're thinking of combining with law, then have a closerlook at USyd, I'm told their law school is quite good.
i had the same prob of deciding between sydney and unsw...the uai cut off was lower for syd last year....i think syd is slightly worse than unsw tho...my sis who did comm/law at unsw whose now a solicitor said that alot of her friends who did commerce at sydney wished they went to nsw cos nsw offers more diversity within the commerce degrees...offering more disciplines or flexibility....(not sure about this tho).....but at her law firm she said most of the summer clerks (i think most did comm/law or eco/law) hired were from sydney and nsw....

cons for unsw...is the transport...plus those stairs........god it was hot on open day....

pros are that its close to randwick cinemas and restaurants and u don't have to pass thru redfern...

unsw has really good commerce facilities (dunno about syd, but syd is prolly the same) cos they major in law students and the commerce students.....personally i think unsw is better...but like its up to you really..which do u prefer? industry wise....i don't think theres much diff...if u're good...u're good...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)